|2|

Cassiopeia had been on edge during the flight. She kept checking her phone every ten minutes and fidgeting with her cufflinks. It took Amanda a day to book a flight and Cassie was certain she had to fire Amanda, but she just couldn't actually fire her. Weren't they supposed to be friends? Even with her two PhDs, Cassie had still to figure out how human relationships worked. She had a preference for the certainty of maths and economics over the strangeness of humanity.

The air conditioning in the aeroplane irritated her, the slight buzzing of the engines managed to draw a growl from her as she pressed the earphones to her skull and rolled her eyes. Too tedious an act to go to France to have a spite round with a driver, she should have probably ordered him to come to her. Wasn't she the big boss? His boss's boss's boss?

The plane landed not too softly on the ground and Cassie snapped straight on her seat, glaring at Amanda for booking a completely daft flight. The German woman shrugged and continued playing with her phone. Wasn't that supposed to be dangerous or something during a flight?

Cassie pulled off her safety belt and stood up, glaring at her PA. "What's on the menu, Amsel?"

"Hotel, food, sleep, tomorrow we meet the team at the track."

"Hell no! Since when did I give you that kind of power over my schedule?"

"Seven months ago."

"No, that was my dog's schedule."

"You don't have a dog."

"My point exactly." Cassie rolled her eyes and moved to leave the plane.

Amanda frowned. "Wait, what was that supposed to mean?"

Cassie went down the stairs and stood before the car that was waiting for them, Amanda followed quickly, getting first into the car. Cassie sighed and sat beside Amanda. "It means that you are incapable of keeping my hypothetical dog alive, least of all me."

"Do you really think I am that stupid?" Amanda tapped on her phone.

Cassie peered to the side at Amanda's phone and rolled her eyes. "Is that your ex?"

Amanda grinned uncomfortably. "How do you know?"

"You've got his name tattooed on your wrist." Amanda tugged on her sleeve over her wrist. "And you called a dermatologist to laser off. I checked. So I made a lucky guess."

"I'll never get used to this. Do you always sneak your nose in matters that are not yours?"

"Ah, yes. That's why I am so good at what I do. I want to have control of everything."

"Great, my boss is a control freak."

"I'll take that as a compliment."

"Cassie!" Amanda sighed and shook her head, hiding her phone away.

"Don't think too much. No, I am not a lesbian, I don't stalk you. Yes, I have even memorized the meal plan for both drivers and their training routine."

"Where the heck did they find you?"

"In a box under a Christmas tree, just where Santa Claus placed me. I didn't move an inch, I swear."

Amanda shook her head. "So where are we going first?"

"We are going to the track, they finish Free Practice in about ten minutes, then we go to the hotel at night, then you have dinner and do whatever that very smart head you have tells you."

"Aha! So, you are admitting it that I am smart?"

"Yeah, like total genius. You and Sid from Ice Age. I told you. Total genius."