19 - Rupert

Jordan smiled as Katherine swung their joined hands as they walked through the temple's courtyard. He was secretly hoping that Tom could see them from here, being happy. This was one of the ways that Katherine was trying to calm down, as her meeting with Dianite would be happening in a couple of hours. He was worried for her. Dianite couldn't be trusted, especially not after what he had done to the Ianite village. Jordan didn't want Katherine getting hurt by Dianite, or worse, ending up dead. A cold chill made its way down his spine, and he shuddered, a nauseating feeling creeping into his mind. He had a bad feeling about this whole meeting. It just didn't seem real. Dianite wanting to peacefully negotiate the release of his champion? Not happening.

Time seemed to slow for a moment, Jordan watching as Katherine turned to look at him, a smile on her face. Jordan tried to smile back, but was interrupted by a loud booming sound and the ground shaking. Glancing around, Jordan realized that the explosion (or at least, it had sounded like one) had gone off inside the temple. Where Lady Ianite was alone. With Dianite. Shit.

'Kathy, I-I need to make sure Ianite's alright!" He, his voice urgent, eyes wide. She nodded quickly, and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear.

"I'm going to go find Rupert, and maybe Tom." Jordan pressed a kiss to her forehead, arms wrapping around her tightly. If something were to go wrong... No, he wasn't going to think about that right now.

"I love you." The weight of Jordan's words wasn't lost on Katherine. She squeezed Jordan tightly, wanting to never let him go.

"I love you too." She whispered, feeling a few tears appearing in her eyes. "I'll see you at Ianite's office, after I find Rupert?" She asked, watching as Jordan let her go, nodding. The two of them parted ways, Katherine rushing inside the temple while Jordan ran to the front entrance. She had to find her brother. Ianite, let him be alright.

-

Tom didn't know what he was doing. There were so many twists and turns, and he had long since passed by his room, the door still opened. No sound made its way into the long hallways he was in, just the echoing sound of his hurried footsteps against the stone. After some thought, Tom knew what he needed to do before he left. Tom needed to both tell Katherine his feelings, and tell her about Rupert. It just made him feel ashamed that his first thought had been of himself, and of his feelings. Rupert was the one being sent to what could be called a living hell. Tom didn't need to really be worried. He just needed to be quicker if he wanted to have any chance of talking to Katherine.

Increasing his pace, Tom rounded a corner and crashed right into someone, knocking them both to the floor. Tom grimaced and rubbed his head, glancing upwards to see who exactly it was. HE froze, a slight blush creeping upon his face. It was Katherine. She was doing the same thing he had just been doing, rubbing her head with an annoyed look on her face. Scrambling to his feet, Tom cautiously offered her a hand. When she didn't seem to notice it, he coughed and spoke up.

"Katherine? I... I'm sorry that I knocked you down." He said hesitantly. Katherine looked up at him, her eyes wide. How had he... Never mind, she could ask him later. She took the offered hand, letting Tom pull her to her feet. Stumbling slightly as she rose, Katherine flailed her arms, only to be caught by Tom, who merely flushed and helped her get back on her feet. When Katherine was sure that she was alright, she began speaking.

"Tom? How the hell'd you get out of your cell?" Katherine asked, watching as Tom squirmed, not meeting her eyes. Sighing, she grabbed his arm and pulled him closer, making him let out a small squeak.

"I.... Some friends came a... and they kind of... broke me out?" He answered, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck. Katherine's heart dropped. Oh. He was leaving.

"You're going soon?" Katherine gazed up at him, a sad look in her eyes, and Tom knew the he couldn't bar the truth from her.

"Not just yet. I had to talk to you, first." He grabbed one of her hands, interlocking their fingers. Please, don't hate me after I've told you this, Tom thought. "Firstly, Rupert's been taken captive by Dianite. I don't know what he wants from him, but it's probably not good knowing him." Katherine stared at him, her mouth agape. Her older brother, captured by Dianite? No, this, this couldn't be real. "Secondly," Tom swallowed nervously, "I... adore you, Katherine. You and Jordan both and I... I didn't want to leave without telling you in person." Katherine was still for a few moments, and Tom was worried she was going to faint. When she did decide to come back to the real world, her actions were quick.

There was a loud thwaping sound as Katherine slapped Tom across the face. Tom's head jerked to the side, and he carefully reached a hand up to his hurt cheek, cradling it gently. Ouch. He had deserved that, really. She packed a powerful punch. Katherine was breathing heavily, her anger being a prime motivator. "That," She spoke up, "was for allowing me brother to be taken." She stepped forwards and Tom lent away from her, not wanting to be slapped again. Instead of hitting or yelling at him, she merely grabbed him by his coat collar and pulled him towards her so that she could kiss him properly. Tom blinked, surprised. She pulled away, giving him a slight shove. "That was for not kissing me two days ago." Tom gaped at her. What the hell?

"You're still mad about your brother though?" He asked, trying to figure this out. She had kissed him. Tom felt giddy, like prancing around and squealing. Katherine nodded, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Don't think I've forgotten about it." She replied, her voice firm. 'When I get my brother back, I'll be speaking to you. Alone." Tom nodded, gulping nervously. He fought back the urge to call her 'ma'am' and opened his mouth to reply. Another explosion shook the building, forcing the two of them to grab onto the wall in hopes of not falling down.

"Shit." Tom hissed. The Modesteps didn't like to be kept waiting, it seemed. "Katherine, I-I have to go." Katherine sighed, before she walked over to him and placed her hands on Tom's cheeks. Tom's face flushed at the contact, and his breath hitched as Katherine pressed a much gentler kiss to his mouth, his hands finding her waist. They stayed like that for what seemed like hours, before Katherine pulled away.

"Go. Be Dianite's champion." Katherine couldn't stop the sneer from happening, but Tom didn't seem to be all that phased by it.

"I... I will, Katherine." He replied, stepping back a few feet. He straightened, remembering something important. "Katherine, I know this is strange, but please, check the desk when you have time?" She nodded, a somewhat concerned look on her face.

"I will Tom. I will." Katherine watched him nod and turn, briskly walking away. "Tom?" She called out, Tom turning back to face her, an anxious look on his face. "Keep my brother as safe as you can. Please." She nearly whispered the last part, watching Tom nod.

"I will, Katherine." With that, Tom turned back, not failing to feel a few tears trailing down his cheeks. He would do everything in his power to make Rupert hurt less, if that's what she wanted.