39 - Accidents

Tom was glad that the sounds of battle were coming from behind them, and not from in front. He supposed he should have felt bad, leaving his fellow Dianitee's to fight off the Ianitee soldiers. At least he was helping someone. Said someone had an arm over his shoulders, using Tom to steady himself as he limped. They were making good progress. At this rate, Rupert could be safely behind Ianitee lines and Tom could be at the main temple before sundown. Things were looking up, for the most part. Tom shifted Rupert's arm slightly, so that he could be more balanced. Without his other eye, it was proving to be slightly harder for him to walk in a straight line.

Pulling Rupert into an abandoned house, Tom helped him sit down, letting him rest for a bit. They still had some way to go before Tom could safely let Rupert go. Letting his head rest against the wall, Tom let out a breath. If Dianite caught them right now, both of them would be killed on the spot. Well, maybe not himself. Dianite would want to properly punish him, before he killed him. If he even killed him. Maybe he would... No, Tom didn't want to think about that right now. Rupert's eye was closed, and Tom would have thought him asleep had, he not known otherwise. After a couple more minutes, Tom reached down and gently shook Rupert's shoulder. He hated having to wake him up, but they needed to move. The sounds of the battle were somewhat closer than they had been, and Tom didn't want to get caught up in the mayhem.

"C'mon Rupert. We've gotta go." He murmured, watching as Rupert groaned and opened his eye. Grasping his forearms, Tom helped Rupert to his feet, steadying him as he stood up. Tom wrapped his arm back around Rupert's waist, and Rupert clung tightly to Tom's shoulders. They slowly walked down the cobble streets, taking back alleys and all of the shortcuts that Tom remembered. His heart was pounding in his ears. Tom was afraid. Afraid for Rupert, for himself, for Katherine and Jordan. Trying to calm himself down, he took in a few deep breaths. If Rupert had noticed the way Tom had squeezed him closer, he certainly didn't say anything about it.

The sounds of the battle grew distant as they trudged forwards. For once, Tom was glad that Furia had trained their soldiers so much. Fights between them and Ianitee soldiers lasted longer, and it gave him more time to help Rupert escape. Of course, it also meant that the soldiers got more injured, but Tom only felt slightly guilty about that. Rupert had started walking better since they had continued. He was slowly regaining his strength albeit very slowly. But it was something, and Tom was pleased at the progress he was making.

A sudden sound from up ahead of them caused Tom to almost push Rupert over in his haste. He quickly pulled the two of them behind a crumbling wall, hoping that whatever or whoever had made the sound wasn't hostile. Tom's mouth formed a thin line as the person approached. He nearly forgot to breathe when the footsteps reached their hiding spot. Slowly, Tom's hand slid around the hilt of his sword. If they were hostile, he would try his best to defend Rupert. He could only hope that the person wouldn't attack the two of them on sight.

They waited for what seemed like hours, sitting in the dirt and rubble as silent as they could be. As the footsteps started to draw away, Tom let out a quiet sigh of relief. He watched as Rupert swallowed harshly, his eyes shut tight. Making sure that the person was well and truly gone, Tom stood, pulling Rupert with him. They needed to get out of here. Fast.

-

Rupert's face twisted into a scowl as Tom helped him sit down on a log. They were well outside of the city, quite close to where the Ianitee's had set up camp. From here, Tom could see the purple banners billowing in the wind. He tried to calm himself down. Rupert would be fine. He was near safety. Gods, why was he such a mess today? Rupert must have noticed the way Tom's hands were shaking, as he tugged Tom down to sit beside him.

"I'll be fine, Tom." Rupert murmured, slinging an arm around Tom's shoulders. Tom practically fell against him, letting his head rest on Rupert's shoulder. "Tom, it'll be okay." Tom nodded, swallowing and closing his eyes. Rupert would be fine. Everyone would be fine.

Rough Seasजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें