Chapter 1: Anybody Have A Map?

Evan: Virgil Sanders
Connor: Janus Picani
Zoe: Patton Picani
Alana: Logan Burns
Jared: Roman Kingman
Heidi: Thomas Sanders
Cynthia: Emile Picani (Dr Picani)
Larry: Remy (Sleep) Picani

Thomas opened the door to Virgil's room, closing it once he entered and smiled to see Virgil closing his laptop. His black hoodie sleeves hid the purple cast he had on but Thomas knew it was there. "Have you been writing those letters to yourself?" He said softly to alert Virgil of his presence. When his son looked up, he continued, louder. "Dear Virgil Sanders, this is going to be a good day, and here's why."

"I-I started one." Virgil shrugged, putting his flash drive in his bag and putting the laptop in his nightstand.

Thomas smiled and sat next to him, patting his knees gently. "those letters are important, kiddo, they're gonna help you build your confidence!"

Virgil smiled at him. "I guess."

Thomas smiled back. "Can we try and have an optimistic outlook? Huh? Could we buck up just enough and say the world won't fall apart?" Virgil looked confused yet Thomas continued. "Maybe this year we decide we're not giving up before we've tried! This year, we make a new start!"

"Hey!" Virgil glanced up as his dad had another out of context epiphany. "I know! You can go around today and ask the other kids to sign your cast. How bout that?"

The teenager merely shrugged and stood. "Perfect."

"I'm proud of you already." Thomas watched him grab his bag and leave the room.

"Oh... good?" Was his only goodbye and Thomas sighed.

'Another stellar conversation for the scrapbook' the felt disappointed. He knew being a father would be tough and everyday was another stumble as he reached for the right thing to say. Yet again he came up empty, trying to find his way to Virgil. Some days it seemed like he needed a map and he was flying blind, making things up as he went.

At another house, a few streets down...

"Janus sit down!" Emile Picani said as his eldest son, still in pajamas, tried to hide from breakfast again. "It's your senior year, Jay, you are not missing the first day."

Janus rolled his eyes as he rose from his seat at the table. "I already said, I'd go tomorrow."

As their son got up and left, Emile sighed, looking to his husband, Remy, for any help.

"He doesn't listen. Look at him, he's probably high."

Patton perked up, staring blankly at the cereal on the counter. "He's definitely high."

Emile rushed into the hall, grabbing Janus before he could run upstairs. "I don't want you going to school high Janus!"

Janus smirked. "Perfect, So then I won't go! Thanks dad!"

Emile sighed but let him go, walking back to the kitchen to pour himself another coffee. "Another masterful attempt ends with disaster." He muttered, knowing his family wouldn't pay attention.

"Interstates already jammed!" Remy complained as he finished up his third coffee.

"Dad, Janus finished the milk!" Patton complained, the words not quite reaching Emile's ears.

"It's a puzzle, it's a maze. I try to steer through it a million ways but each days another wrong turn." Emile sighed as he saw his family disperse.

"I'm gonna head out." Remy planted a kiss to his cheek.

Patton grabbed his bag. "If Jay isn't ready, I'm leaving without him."

Does anybody have a map? Anybody maybe happen to know how the hell to do this? I don't know if you can tell but this is me just pretending to know, so where's the map? We need a clue, cause the scary truth is we're flying blind and we're making this up as we go.