Chapter 13: Did You Fall? Or Did You Let Go?

Once again, Virgil felt alone and vilified by the world, with good reason. And like always, Janus found a way to show up.

"I can't do this. I'm done." Virgil gave up, head in his hands.

"Virge, you can't just stop now."

Janus is always there when he doesn't need him to be.

"I don't think I can live with this anymore."

"What about my parents?"

Virgil ignored him. "No more emails."

"How can you do this to them?"

"No more Janus Project. No more orchard."

Janus glared, walking with him as Virgil started the slow walk home. "After everything they've done for you? They need you."

"Need me for what?" Virgil snapped. "To keep lying to them?"

"The lie is the only thing that's keeping them together."

"It's not true."

"Really? They seemed like a picturesque family when you met them?"

"I don't want to lie anymore."

"What about Patton?"

He paused. "Patton said... he just wants me. He likes me for who I am."

"Except you didn't mention that everything you've told him is one big fucking lie, did you?" Silence. "You left that part out."

"So then, what if I told him the truth?"

"He'll hate you

"Maybe everyone will understand.."

"Everyone will hate you. You'll go right back to where you started. No friends. Nobody. Nothing. Alone."

"I want to be don't with this. I'm ready to be done with it

"If you really believe that then why are you standing here talking to yourself? Again?" Again, silence. "You think you're going to turn around all of a sudden and start telling everyone the truth? You can't even tell yourself the truth."

"What are you talking about?"

Janus paused.

"How did you break your arm?" The memory flashes across Virgil's eyes. "How did you break your arm, Virgil?"

"I fell."

"Really? Is that what happened?"

"Yes." He wasn't sure of it himself. "I was, I lost my grip and I... I fell."

There was a pause. Janus spoke. "Did you fall? Or did you let go?"

Silence.

"You can get rid of me whenever you want, Virge. You can get rid of all of it. The Janus Project. The orchard. But then all that your gonna be left with is... you."

Janus fed into the memory. The first big lie that started then spiral downward.

"End of May or early June. This picture perfect afternoon we share. Drive the winding country road, grab a scoop at Ala Mode and then... we're there." He placed a gentle hand on Virgil's shoulder. "Think about it." And he's gone.