Chapter 3: For Forever

Virgil walked the hall with Roman a few days later, his new, hand written letter tucked safely inside his binder. He glanced at Patton who looked distraught but couldn't bring himself to ask him what was wrong. When they passed, Virgil looked at Roman. "Janus has been gone for a few days, Patton looks upset..."

Roman scoffed. "Why do you care? All that guy ever did was torment people and blame them when they said he was clinically insane."

Virgil toed the ground as they stopped by Roman's locker. "Well I... see so... you know how like, I got to therapy and stuff and-"

"If this is you trying to convince me to give you advice, remember I'm only your friend because it means my parents will pay off my car insurance." Roman put a hand up to shut him up.

Right, the only reason Virgil had friends was because of car insurance. "Yeah it's- it's not that. This is gonna sound stupid but just listen." He took a small breath. Was he really doing this? But before he could stop himself, he was spilling the story to Roman. "So they have me write these letters to myself to help with self confidence or whatever, it's really stupid, and um... I was printing one out like, Monday or something, and Janus came in and took the letter.. I don't know what he did with it and I'm kinda freaking out!"

Roman rolled his eyes. "You should've been careful. Although, Janus is bat shit crazy and there's a lot of stupid shit that is the Internet. Who knows what'll happen if that letter gets online? Like, once your letter gets tweeted there's no deleting it."

"Thanks for that vote of confidence, Ro." Virgil said, sarcasm on the tip of his words.

"That's not my job!" Roman smirked, shutting his locker loudly, causing Virgil to flinch. "That's for your letters."

About half an hour later, Virgil was sat in is Intro To Psychology when the phone rang. The teacher answered and glanced at Virgil. "Virgil Sanders, you're needed in the front office. Take your things."

Virgil was confused. His dad never checks him out except for therapy appointments and today is Thursday. Besides, he was working a double and his session wasn't until Friday of next week. But he didn't dare draw any more attention to himself, so he grabbed his bag and left.

He heard crying and his heart dropped. He saw Patton through the blurred window but it obviously wasn't him crying, no it was one of his dad's, the therapist, Emile. He knocked before hearing confirmation to come inside from his principal. He opened the door and the crying ceased, aside from a few sniffles, as the entire Picani family minus Janus sat and stared at him.

"Virgil..." Patton looked at him, an emotion behind his eyes that Virgil didn't know.

"You're Virgil?" The crying man, Emile for sure by what he was wearing. It was the therapist a few doors down from his. Virgil nodded slightly, feeling uncomfortable under their stares. "I'm Emile Picani." He managed to reach out and shake Mr. Picani's hand. "I don't know if you knew this but... our son, our sweet sweet Janus, he committed suicide Monday night..."

Virgil's blood ran cold. Did he cause Janus to snap and call it quits? Was he in trouble for this?

"We found him in the bathroom... and in his pocket was a letter... his suicide note. Addressed to you.." Patton's other father spoke up.

They handed him the printed letter Janus stole from him, wrinkled and ripped but the words still clear as day in black ink. Virgil stared at it. He knew what it said but he had to pretend, for Patton and the Picanis. He forced himself to stare back at the expectant faces.

"He doesn't care does he?" Patton's father that he still didn't know yet muttered, his voice sounded dejected and lost.

Virgil rushed to comfort him. "Nonono it's just... I can't believe he wrote to me.." he lied. You know... like a liar.