Chapter 3

It had been almost two years since Costano's fears became true.

It took less than three weeks for everything to be finalized. It took about three months after for Costano to win back the money he had lost and the additional money he had to pay. Things were harder now. His reputation was ruined and all of it happened almost two years ago.

It was as if his nightmares had suddenly come true, and now it seemed as if he'd live in it for the rest of his life.

At least it hadn't gone all that bad for him, he thought to himself as a way to keep himself going. He still made a decent amount due to his loyal clients. His parents, although they had their own separate issues, helped him as well.

However, things could've been better if Costano had only listened to himself since the start.  Over the course of the following months, he slowly improved his reputation, but many will still remember the one day he will never forget.

It was the day he lost an important case. Well, it wasn't he who was representing someone, it was he who was being represented.

It was the day he lost the one person he thought loved him. He lost the one person he promised to spend the rest of their lives with but had walked out the door when he least expected.

It was the day he lost his wife, Pia.

Pia Celona.

Just thinking about her, or even mentioning her name, made his blood boil but his heart ache in pain. He felt weak. He felt played. He felt pathetic.

The divorce lawyer got divorced by his own wife. He should've noticed something was wrong. He should've known it would happen. Was it karma? Was it he himself who failed? He always asked himself.

Costano was heart broken. Since that day, he swore to himself to never fall in love again. He would never get married again either. He thought that love was an illusion created to fool our minds. He even thought that love was not real, and if it was, no one could actually love him.

Costano swore he wouldn't make the same mistake twice.

•  •  •

"No! C'mon, I need to get to his office now! I can't let him beat me!" Arabella shouted at the car that drove in front of hers.

It was Thursday morning. Just like any other day of the week there was traffic on the highway at this time, but not as bad as this. It was like all odds were against her favor.

She needed to get to his office before it was too late. She couldn't let the opportunity slip from her grasp. She hoped that he wouldn't get retained like the other lawyers she had contacted before.

Arabella didn't even schedule a meeting with him. Once she found out about him, she had to see him right away.

Arabella pressed her hand against the horn several times. "Move out of the way! You're all so slow! My grandma could drive faster than you!" She groaned.

After being stuck in traffic for almost an hour, she made it to his office building. She thanked her lord and savior for allowing her to make it. She just hoped things would go as she planned they would.

She parked her car and quickly got out. She locked her car and practically ran inside the building. She approached the elevator and pressed the button. Five minutes passed and still no elevator.

Arabella crossed her arms over her chest and tapped her pointer finger rapidly against her bicep. She bit her lower lip and looked up to see on what floor the elevator was. She realized that for some reason the elevator was not coming down anytime soon.