Chapter 10

Sefora placed her things down on the passenger's seat before closing the door of her car. She as she buckled herself, she thought about Arabella. Sefora told herself she would tell Arabella about Veronica and how there was something about her that just wouldn't make the uneasy feeling go away.

She grabbed her phone from her purse, took a deep breath, and dialed Arabella.

"Hey Sefora, I thought you went home already. Something wrong?" Arabella asked.

"I just wanted to let you know that I gave Zoilo the file and the box. He told me to tell you that he was going home early today. He said you're having dinner together," Sefora answered.

"Thanks and oh alright then."

Sefora swallowed the lump in her throat. "I also wanted to tell you about his assistant."

"Veronica?" Arabella asked, confused.

"Yeah. I didn't say anything before because I thought it was nothing. I don't know it probably is nothing. I just have this odd feeling around her."

There was silence.

Sefora's palms began to sweat and all she could hear were her rapid heartbeats. She quickly said, "but like I said before it's probably nothing. I just- I don't know. When I walked into Zoilo's office, it just didn't feel right."

Arabella finally spoke, "sorry I was thinking about what to say." She paused, "I understand if you don't feel comfortable around Veronica. But she is his assistant and it's normal to see her in his office."

Sefora rubbed the back of her neck. Maybe I am overreacting, she thought. But no matter how many times she has told herself those same words before, the feeling didn't go away.

Arabella sighed, "besides Zoilo and Veronica? It's hard to believe. Veronica wouldn't do something like that. She... She has been through a lot. The last thing she needs is to add onto her plate."

Sefora didn't dare to ask what had happened to Veronica, knowing it wasn't any of her business. But it didn't stop her from questioning herself. What happened to her? Was it really that bad?

Arabella might have thought she knew everything but only Veronica knew the whole truth of what actually happened.

However, secrets don't last forever.

Arabella knew that Sefora was only looking out for her and she was thankful that even after pushing her away, Sefora still cared. Arabella spoke once again, "thank you, Sefora. For delivering the file and box to Zoilo, and for telling me how you felt. I know I haven't been a good friend lately, but thank you."

"Arabella what you went through isn't your fault and neither were your actions. You had every right to have your own space," Sefora said.

She couldn't imagine how Arabella must have felt and still does. Sefora knew what it was to lose someone after her grandfather passed away due to cancer and her grandmother a few years later due to old age, but she understood that losing your own child was different.

"Thanks Sefora."

"Of course. Well... I should let you go. I'll see you at work tomorrow."

"See you at work."

Arabella ended the call once they said their goodbyes. She began to think about what Sefora said. Zoilo and Veronica?

She couldn't believe it. It couldn't be true, Arabella thought. Veronica had been one of her best friends since her freshman year of university. Veronica would never do something like that.