Chapter 5

Arabella opened her mouth to order another margarita, but closed it when she heard a voice from behind calling her name. She turned around in her seat and her eyes widened.

"What are you doing here still? I thought you went home."

"I'm taking you home," Costano stated as he pulled out a twenty dollar bill from his wallet and placed it on the bar stand. "Thanks for the drinks. Keep the change."

Costano turned to Arabella, "can you walk?" She nodded and stood up.

Costano knew that although she was able to walk, she walked slowly as if she didn't want to trip and fall. "How many drinks did you have?" He asked her.

"Four... I think."

"You shouldn't have been drinking if you didn't know how you'd get home Arabella."

"I know I ju-" she stopped herself when she felt Costano's hand wrap around her waist and pull her closer.

"So that you don't fall when you walk," he assured her. "I could've carried you out of here but then that would cause a scene and I didn't think you'd want that."

She mumbled a thank you as they made their way to the exit.

During the whole walk towards his car, Costano held her by the waist and made sure she didn't trip on anything.

"I thought you said that if you wanted to drink to go to a club," he raised an eyebrow.

"They know me. Besides, I pay the bartender extra to keep quiet."

Costano chuckled, "of course you would. But you need to be careful. How else would you get home if I wasn't there to take you?"

"I would've called a taxi or something."

"Call me instead. I wouldn't want anything happening to you. I'd feel terrible knowing I could've done something to help."

When she looked at him, he was staring ahead. His expression showed he was bothered by something. She thought he was mad at her. She had dragged him here for dinner when he wanted to go home. She made him stay for a few drinks and now he was taking her home.

I'm sorry Cosmo. She thought to herself, not trusting her words.

He held the passenger door open for her as she slipped into his car. Once inside, he closed the door and got into the driver's seat. The ride was silent, Costano had his full attention on the road as he drove away from the building.

Arabella's eyes began to feel heavy and within seconds everything turned dark.

"Where do you live Arabella? You feeling alright?" Costano asked but received no answer. He turned to look at Arabella and noticed that she had fallen asleep.

"Arabella... wake up."

She didn't.

Costano debated whether to wake her up or take her home with him. Zoilo didn't seem to care and Veronica just wanted Arabella to be safe. Costano though she'd be safer if he was with her, so he took her to his home.

Thirty minutes later, they had arrived at his house. He parked his car in the garage and went to open the door for Arabella.

He whispered, "Arabella we're here. Can you walk?" Arabella slightly stirred in her sleep.

Costano sighed, "I guess some things never change."

He grinned as he remembered all the times he and Arabella went to parties at the university. Just as she dragged him to the party he dragged Arabella out of parties before things got messy.