Chapter 18

The next morning, Costano opened his eyes and sat up in bed. He had stayed over at Pia's house. He wanted to spend as much time as he could with his son because he did not know when would be the next time. He needed to talk to Pia and talk about these things with her. She had kept their son a secret for over a year. Even if it was only a year, he had missed quite a lot. He needed to make sure that he was not going to miss anymore moments with his son.

He grabbed his phone from the nightstand and saw that it was eight in the morning. He sat at the edge of the bed and a knock was heard from the other side of the door.

"Come in," he said. The door opened and in came Pia.

She smiled, "hey um just wanted to see that you ere doing okay." Costano nodded his head slightly and stood up. "There's a bathroom out in the hall. There are new tooth brushes and soaps under the sink. Do you need any spare clothes to change into?" She asked.

"No, I have some in my car. I'll go get them," he said. Costano always kept spare clothes in his car. You never knew when you might need to change.

"Alright, well breakfast is almost ready."

Costano nodded and Pia began to leave the room. "Pia," Costano began. She turned to look at him. "We need to talk about Matteo."

"I know Costano. That was the main reason why I wanted to talk to you," she said before leaving.

After Costano showered, he changed into his new clothes and entered the kitchen. Pia stood in front of the stove making pancakes while Matteo sat in his highchair. Costano grabbed Matteo into his arms and out of the chair.

"Hey buddy," Costano smiled which made Matteo laugh. Matteo reached to touch his father's face. Pia smiled as she watched them both. She did not have to keep their son a secret anymore and Costano got to spend time with Matteo.

"Food is ready," she said as she placed Costano's plate on the counter. She turned to grab Matteo's food as Costano sat down on a stool with Matteo still in his arms.

"Let me feed him while you eat," she said. Costano handed Matteo to her and placed him back on his highchair. She grabbed a spoon and began to slolwy feed Matteo.

"What's his full name?" Costano asked.

"Matteo Celona Menendez." She had given him both their last names.

"How old is he?"

"A year and seven months, almost two," she answered. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but I just couldn't."

"I still don't understand. Why does your father hate me? Why would your father force you to abort our child?" Costano asked.

Pia put away the dirty plates in the sink and placed a towel over her shoulder. She grabbed Matteo out of the highchair and held him. She bounced him up and down while massaging his back to get rid of any gasses he might have.

She sighed, "he wanted me to marry another man, not you... When I asked him why he didn't like you he just avoided the question and said that if I didn't leave you he'd take everything from you."

She lifted Matteo higher and held him closer to her, "When he found out about Matteo, he told me to use him against you so that I could get more money out of you, but I refused. He told me to go through with the abortion process, but I couldn't do that to you or Matteo. After the divorce was finalized, I ran away from home and I've been living here since. My father is a powerful man Costano. I couldn't let him hurt you or Matteo anymore than I did."

Costano knew that her father never liked him, but never knew he'd do something like this. If none of it would have happened then Costano would have still been married with Pia and they would have had their son together. Now that he knew the truth, what would Costano do?