Chapter 16

Zoilo sat on the edge of the bed and placed a hand on Arabella's arm. He gently rubbed up and down her arm. "How are you feeling mia Bella?"

"I still don't feel well," she sniffled.

"Do you want me to get you anything?" He asked.

"No... I just want to rest."

Zoilo opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out. He did not know what to say. He removed his hand from her arm and Arabella raised the bed sheets up to her neck. Zoilo stood up and opened the door.

"If you need anything just call me. I am heading to the office to get a few things," he said gently.

No answer.

Zoilo gazed at her once more before shutting the door behind him.

Their relationship was never the same since the loss of their child. Zoilo did his best to comfort Arabella but nothing seemed to work. He felt useless. He wanted to be there for Arabella. He wanted to comfort her, but she did not want him near her. He did not want to upset her more than she was already and hoped that doing what she asked would somehow help her.

But that did not help.

He blamed himself for not trying harder. He blamed himself for not being the husband and friend she deserved. He knew she had lost someone precious to her. He did not know how much pain she was in because he could not imagine it. She carried their child, felt him or her grow inside her, and felt the loss of it. He blamed himself for everything he did after the tragedy — and for ruining their marriage.

Arabella was depressed. Their child was lost and they could never get him or her back. She blamed herself for the death of their child no matter what anyone told her. It was not your fault. This happens to many other women. Things will get better.

But they never did.

Arabella continued to push Zoilo away. She wanted him with her to comfort her but her words said otherwise. She hated herself more and more every time she pushed him away. She blamed herself for not being the wife and friend he deserved. She knew he had lost someone precious to him, but she couldn't face him. She blamed herself for everything she did to him after the tragedy — and for ruining their marriage.

They slowly became distant towards each other and their marriage began to crack. As the cracks go deeper and deeper, their tears and sorrows filled those cracks — creating a river so deep between them that neither of them could cross to the other side.

As the months went by, Zoilo felt he couldn't talk to anyone about his emotions. He had to stay strong for Arabella.

At least that is how it was for sometime.

Zoilo sat in his office, looking through the stack of files on his desk. Work was becoming harder to do ever since the tragedy. Since he was the ceo, he had many responsibilities. He roughly ran his hand through his hair.

A knock interrupted him from his reading, "come in." The door opened and in came Veronica.

"Hey Zoilo, just came to drop these off," she placed another stack of files on his desk.

Zoilo rubbed his face, "thank you Veronica, you can go." But she did not move. He shifted his gaze from the files on his desk to her face.

"Sorry I just had to make sure you are okay. How are you? How is Arabella?" Veronica asked.

Zoilo leaned back against his chair, "she is doing better. The doctor recommended that she should visit a group and it has been helping her cope." He paused. "She still has those days but I am glad she is doing better. As for me I am doing fine," he gave his best smile but failed. Veronica could see the pain behind his smile.