part 8

The frying pan sizzled on the stove as I cooked the meat,  stirring occasionally as my parents rushed around the kitchen, the normal routine when it came to dinner. My father stood next to me for several moments,  checked the spaghetti noodles, then walked over to help my mom cut up the herbs.  I heard my two younger brothers running around the house.  I sighed as I thought about how the twins' 9th birthday was coming up.
I still need to get their presents...
Suddenly there was a loud thump.  Everyone in the kitchen paused and looked towards the sound,  but we couldn't see them past the wall. 
"Boys? " My mother said questioningly. 
I smiled as we heard giggles.
"WE'RE OK! " I heard Jake's voice yell.  My father shrugged and patted my mother's shoulder.
"They're boys. They're bound to get a bit of brain damage over the years. " He said,  and I laughed. My mother frowned.
"I would feel better if they wore helmets.. " She said quietly,  and both my father and I laughed at her.  She turned and threw a piece of celery at me. I ducked low enough then caught it in my mouth. 
"Mmm." I said,  and my mother rolled her eyes as my father laughed. 

"Boys!  Go wash up for dinner! " My mother yelled,  and I watched as Jake came running and Liam walked over behind him. 
"I already did! " Jake said, and I raised an eyebrow as I set down a plate on the table. 
"Are you sure?  Lemme check. " I said,  waving him over.  He held out his hand and I pretended to investigate his hand.  I clicked my tongue and shook my head.
"I did! "
"Are you sure?  There's still some dirt bugs on there. " I said jokingly.
"Noir." My mother gave me a disapproving look. Jake's eyes widened and he ran to the bathroom where Liam was already washing his hands.

We all sat down and said grace,  and began eating.  I paused as the doorbell rang.  I look up at my mother. 
"Hmm. I wonder who that could be at this hour. Maybe its Mia. Would you get the door please,  Noir?" She said. I nodded and stood up,  walking around the table to the door.  I turned the handle and pulled the door open.,  already preparing my excuse.
"Excuse me,  we are bus-"
"Noir." I paused and took the time to look up at the person's face,  and felt my stomach drop.
"Namjoon."
"Look,  I came to say I'm sorry.  I-" He started,  but I cut him off. 
"Hey,  can we talk later?  I'm supp-"
I sighed as my mother interrupted me.
"Noir?  Who is it?" Her voice floated through the house. She came up to the door and saw Namjoon. 
"Oh. Is this a friend of yours? "
"I'm not sure. " I said quietly,  looking down. 
"Noir and I are in a study group together. "
Hmm.  Study group seems like everyone's excuse.
"Noir, you didn't tell me you're in a study club?! " My mother said,  looking at me.  I didn't look at her as I looked up at Namjoon.
"Yeah, well. " I replied,  and he looked down. 
"Well,  honey,  don't leave him standing outside!  Please do come in dear.  I don't think I caught your name? " My mother asked as she pulled him in the house.  I closed the door and followed her as she led him through the house,  towards the dinner table. 
"Kim Namjoon. It's so nice to meet you, Ma'am. " My mother laughed. 
"Oh,  Namjoon.  You're such a sweet young man.  But please,  call me Mom. " My eyes widened at the marriage reference and she turned to wink at me. Namjoon's face turned a light pink. 
"Excuse me.. Mom.. But I really must get going.. " He said,  but my mom simply waved him off. 
"Don't be ridiculous.  You just got here!  Please, sit and have dinner with us. " She said,  and I groaned quietly as I sat down.
"Oh,  no,  I really don't want to intrude.." He said,  and I looked down,  keeping busy with my food as an excuse not to have to look at him.
"You will do no such thing!  Sit. " She said,  pushing on his shoulders to get him to sit in a chair. She served him a plate of spaghetti and sat down.
"Um.. Thank you. " He said. My mother nodded. I looked at my dad and smirked as I saw him giving Namjoon the death look. My mother leaned over to whisper to my father.
"Qué maravilloso pretendiente para nuestra hija.. " She whispered,  giggling.  My eyes widened and I felt my face go red. I looked back down at my food,  but shot a peek at Namjoon.  He smirked and winked at me. 
Arrogant prick.

qué maravilloso pretendiente para nuestra hija = "what a marvelous suitor for our daughter"
--------------------------------
I'm learning Spanish so *shrugs*
I feel like this story is gonna go places later.. *Winkity wonk*
Your annoying author
ArtsyGrace