Six - Afire Love

"How many times have you spoke to the end of your string?" Marinette asked Alya  the next day at school.

"Everyday..." Alya admits. "I honestly am glad you brought this up actually." Alya fidgets. "I think I want to meet mine."

"You will meet them one day - you never know they could be serving you at a hotdog stand-"

"No Mari, I mean, I want to arrange to meet them properly, to see them." Alya spoke surely but sounded  undecided.

"W-What do you know about them?" Marinette asked her best friend.

"He is the same age as us, he lives here in Paris, he makes mix tapes - he has made one for me and wants to give it me the first time we meet..." Alya nervously bit her lip not knowing how Mari would react.

"Wow Alya why didn't you tell me you spoke to them quite a lot?" 

"I- you said you didn't want to look for yours because you wanted freedom, I thought you wouldn't be very happy knowing I wanted to meet mine, I don't want to waste time when I could find out now and... Possibly be happy for the rest of my life. You never truly know until you try right?" Alya wasn't acting like her usual upbeat and preppy self, she was nervous and unsure.

"Alya Césaire, I will support you no matter what. You are my best friend, we are allowed to have different opinions, we just have to support each other and trust each other's judgement . If you want to meet the end of your string, I am happy for you. I just have one bit of advice..."

"And what's that?" Alya smiled.

"It must be in a populated area, one where you know you are safe and you call me when you are done because I want to know them straight away!" Marinette joked towards the end trying to make the conversation a little more light hearted. 

"I know where I'd meet them..." Alya announced. "Well it has to be somewhere I can be safe like you said, I want to be able to sit just in case I get nervous and weak at the knees and everybody bonds over food right?"

"Right, but where is that?"

"Your parent's bakery of course!" 

**||** 

A couple days later, Marinette was working in the bakery, she volunteered to work as her best friend met with the end of her string (obviously - its her best friend of course she wanted to know). After making some Macaroons especially for Alya and her string - colours orange and blue - she set them aside and went over to the counter. 

"Oh, hey Mari I didn't know you would be working today!" She looked up and saw a black pair of glasses, a red baseball cap, a pair of orange hdphones, and a blue top.

"Nino," Marinette smiled, "What brings you here?"

"Well..." Nino leaned on the counter, "I'm kind of glad to have someone I know here since I'm quite nervous."

"How so?"

"I'm meeting my soul mate this afternoon. We agreed to meet here at one, I came a little early to prepare myself you know..." Nino sighed and Marinette smiled even bigger, Alya was coming here to meet her soul mate at 1pm as well, she made a quick decision to keep quite about it and see how it all folded out. 

"Oh! Well good luck! Don't worry, I'll look out for you. I'm sure you'll like them as soon as you see them." Marinette thought for a moment. "I didn't even know you were talking to the end of your string..."

"Well, I have been so eager to speak to them, we have been messaging each other every moment we have free and so far I love what I hear. I hope they turn out to be true to what they have said to me." He confessed.

"The world is full of wonders Nino, trust me, you'll be okay," She spoke with a smile trying not to freak out.

"How can you be so sure? You have no idea who they could be..." 

"But if they have been chosen my the fates to be with you, isn't that proof enough?" Marinette was telling Nino things she had never even told herself. But when she said it she wondered why she has been so scared to find out who her string is?

"Hey Marinette I- Oh hi Nino what are you doing here?" Alya walked in and came over to the counter realising Marinette was talking to Nino.

"I- Um I'm here to meet with somebody..." Nino scratched the back of his neck.

"Hey," Marinette smiled grabbing the two's attention. "I have something for you both actually..." She said slyly and they both looked at Marinette weirdly. As she went over and picked up her macaroons. She gave Alya an orange one and Nino a blue one. "By the way... I made them for two people who came to meet the end of their string today. They were coming at 1 o'clock, they have been speaking every moment they could... They are stood right next to each other right now."

Nino and Alya were looking at their Macaroons confusedly and looking around the bakery trying to find what they are both looking for. 

"Marinette I-"

"No Alya, you came to meet your soul mate. I made these macaroons for you and your soul mate. I have given them and now I shall leave. I know you will both be safe together." Marinette said and before anyone could say anything, Marinette ran upstairs. 

They looked at each other and Nino went into his pocket and pulled out his blue marker, slowly he took off the lid and wrote Hi on his arm, he looked over to Alya's are to find his handwriting glowing blue scrawled across her arm. Alya looked at her arm and then looked at Nino with wild eyes. 

"The fates bought us together Alya."Nino smiled and embraced Alya who hugged back with a smile.

"Thank God." Alya barely whispered, however it was loud enough for Nino to hear who tightened his hold on the red-haired girl. 

They let go and looked at each other. 

"God it seemed so obvious..." Nino chuckled. "Of course it would be you, your favourite animal is a fox, your favourite colour is orange, you say exactly what you're thinking... How did I not know,"

"I guess we were too busy trying to find each other we didn't see what was right in front of us." Alya smiled and Nino pulled a piece of hair that was hanging in front of her face back behind her ear as he looked into her eyes.

"May I?" Alya did't need to him to ask, she was ready for the next stage of her life and was excited to see what path this would lead her too so she leaned closer and they shared a soft kiss leaving them both with smiles on their face.