Eight - If It Makes You Happy

Alya sat on Marinette's bed, pulling a loose thread from one of Marinette's cushions as Mari paced in her room. She sighed putting down the cushion and looking to Marinette.

"What's wrong?" Alya repeated, she had been at Marinette's house for a good 25 minutes and Mari had just been pacing, sighing and playing with her hands. "Marinette Dupain-Cheng sit down." She commanded patting the bed next to her. Marinette sat down slowly. "For the last time, what is wrong?"

"I-" Marinette sighed her shoulders falling. "I am at a crossroads..." 

"About?"

"You know when we got drunk at the shake lounge that time we played dares... You asked me if I'd kiss anyone in our class..." Marinette was nervous. "Well, I would have said no one because I do want to meet my soul mate one day and I know I won't be as lucky as you and find my soul mate was the person who sits behind me in class." She was scrambling. "B-but now... I have started having feelings for Adrien. I blame you since you and Nino have bought the two of us closer due to you guys being closer and I-I keep having these crazy thoughts and feeling about Adrien-"

"Oh my god Marinette-" Alya tried to interrupt but the blue haired girl spoke over her.

"However, I have been having some amazing conversations with the end of my string but I am no where near ready for that type of commitment so I-"

"Girl, stop right there." Alya held her hand up to stop Marinette from speaking. "When did you start having feelings for Adrien Agreste!?"

"W-well, I don't particularly know if they are feelings or just... You know-" Marinette sighed not being able to explain herself.

"Hey, don't worry about it..." Alya rubbed her friend's back. "How about, you continue hanging out with Adrien and talking to the end of your string until you have figured something out. Remember, you could always just wait and see what happens. One step at a time."

"But... Isn't that a bad thing to do? Lead both of them on?"

"Marinette, it can't be bad! You're not dating either of them." Alya tried to reason but Marinette shruggled. "Mar... Do they both make you happy?" Marinette nodded looking to her friend with a faint blush rising to her cheeks. "Then it can't be that bad."

"Thanks Alya, I have been wrecking my head for a few days about this..." 

"Anytime, you can talk to me about anything," She smiled. "I know I have been busy with Nino lately but I'm only ever a phone call away, I can always make time for my best friend. Don't get sad about something that's pretty awesome!"

**||**

Adrien needed to find a way to spend a bit of time with Marinette out of class, he had decided not to go straight up to her and tell her that he was her end of the string, he thought it would make more sense for her to find out on her own terms. 

"Adrien, your father is waiting for you in his office, he wants to speak with you." Nathalie spoke with confidence from the other side of his bedroom door. She was his Father's assistant, managing the house and what it seemed like Adrien as well, he sighed putting his thoughts to the side. 

"Coming..." He opened his door and Natalie led his to his father's office where she knocked on the door and opened it allowing Adrien to enter. He walked into the office and towards the desk.

"You wanted to see me?" Adrien asked.

"Yes, Adrien, you haven't been doing much modelling this year, I have allowed you to have a break from the spotlight in order to focus on your studies and your social life in hopes that you would come closer to finding your soul mate." Gabriel announced, although his voice wasn't as demanding and authoritative as it usually was. "Have you had any luck?"

"I... Not yet father, I speak with them but I have yet to learn who they are." Adrien lied, he didn't know why his father was talking to him about this subject and it made Adrien a little uncomfortable.

"At least you're trying..." Gabriel spoke. "I only ask because I don't want you to lose the end of your string like I did." There was silence in the room, Adrien knew his father wouldn't speak of his mother very often and wondered why he brought it up now. "Anyway, I would like for you to co-host a fashion show, just to show your face in the spotlight. It will be next month. If you'd have found your soul mate i would have allowed them to join you as host, however, since you don't, there will be a competition for a young up and coming fashion designer to join you in welcoming the models and the brands, they will also be the special guest and their design will be the last to be shown in the show. " 

"Yes father," Adrien agreed and his father dismissed him from the office telling Adrien he had a lot of work to do. Adrien went back up to his room and sat on his bed, just as he sat down his mind clicked.

He grabbed his green marker and wrote: Hey, you want to be a fashion designer right? A few moments later he felt the reply.

It's only my dream! Why?

Because I know how to make your dream come true... Adrien could imagine the smile Marinette would have on her face when she read the message. She probably would shake her head or roll her eyes.

Oh really? How so?

There's a competition that is being held, if your design wins you will be co-hosting a fashion event as a special guest and have your design worn by a model at the end of the event. Adrien had to leave his name out of it, he wanted to surprise her when she won.

Oh I can't do that! I won't win! Was her reply.

Come on! You can at least try... I believe in you.

Give me some details then. Marinette wrote and Adrien smiled. She would win the competition and he knew it. She was really talented.

I'll let you know when I find out more beautiful. Adrien smiled to himself, hopefully something good comes out of this.

 Adrien smiled to himself, hopefully something good comes out of this