Chapter 14

Y/N'S POV

Ashton and I had spent the rest of our day together with no worries on either of our minds. I knew for sure it was at least for him because there wasn't much for him to worry about. Either way, I could tell the both of us were having fun just enjoying one another's company as we played and snacked on junk food until we ordered more junk food for dinner. We played some more so that I burn out most of his energy before he had to go to bed in a couple hours or so. I let him run around the house like a crazy child as his favorite show played on the TV. I tried to complete some homework while he did that and I actually managed to get something finished before Ashton was demanding my attention once again.

I loved that kid with everything in me but sometimes I questioned what the hell he was doing most of the time; he was just so crazy and hilarious. He always managed to crack me up with his adorable ways, and it always made me feel a hundred times better no matter what I was going through. I knew it was time to begin his nightly routine when he started calming down and actually watching his show. I gave him a quick cup of warm milk so I could finish my homework. When I was finished, Ashton was still drinking his milk so I brought out my phone for the first time since he had woken up. I contemplated texting Lauren, but it seemed like my fingers moved on their accord to invite her over to talk. Not even five seconds later did I receive a reply explaining that she would be here in no more than five minutes.

I set the phone down on the coffee table and turned off the TV which earned me a groan from my son. I went to grab him as he continued whining. "It's time for bed." I lightly scolded when he wouldn't stop. I went into the bathroom so that I could give him a bath. Ashton played around in the water for a couple more minutes as he usually did after I finished washing him. He was sitting down in the water, talking to himself while fumbling with the toys around him. He looked up and suddenly a huge smile took over his face as he pointed behind me. "YoYo!" He screamed. I turned around to see a distraught Lauren leaning against the doorframe with her arms crossed over her chest. She had a small smile on her face aimed towards my son and I could tell she was trying her best to seem happy in front of him.

My heart constricted at the sight so I had to turn to face Ashton again. "Are you ready to get out?" I asked the small boy who dropped his toys to stand up and hold his arms out towards me. I pulled the plug so that the water could drain out of the tub before wrapping Ash in a towel to dry him off. Lauren followed me into his room but remained in her same position at the doorframe; arms crossed over her chest with an unreadable look on her face. I tried not to pay any mind to it as I finished dressing Ashton in his pajamas. When we were done I went to place him in his crib and cover him with a small blanket. I kissed his forehead and turned to Lauren. "Do you want to say goodnight?" I asked.

The taller girl looked at me for a couple of seconds before slowly stalking over to place a kiss on Ashton's forehead, whispering a goodnight as I pulled up the bar of the crib so he wouldn't be able to escape. Lauren made her way into my room across the hall while I finished putting Ashton to bed by turning off the light and closing the door behind me. Again, I closed the door behind me once I entered my room because I knew my mom would be home eventually and I didn't want her interrupting this talk I knew Lauren and I needed to have. The raven haired girl was laid out on my bed, staring at the ceiling above us in silence. I went to sit down on the other side of the bed and clutched a pillow to my chest while I leaned back against the headboard. Lauren still seemed very distraught while she was laying down. I sighed to myself and scratched the back of my head in thought of what to say first.

However before I was able to get anything out, Lauren had began talking which ultimately cut me off. "Are you ever going to tell me what I did wrong? I honestly don't know what I did but it's eating me alive because I never meant to make you upset, especially to the point where you won't talk to me anymore. I'm really sorry for whatever I did but can I please at least just know what it was?" Lauren's voice became thicker with emotion the more she continued to talk. She hadn't moved from her position but I could tell she was trying not to cry.