0.65

Thomas sat in his bedroom staring out the window. The house was empty, there was no one to witness the boy's rigid state, his arms crossed and feet outstretched. His mind was preoccupied with empty thoughts. His phone lay almost forgotten under his pillow where he'd stuffed it after putting it on silent. 

He'd jumped when he heard the knocks on the door. Newt was instantly apologetic. He insisted that he had said things completely over the line. And for reasons Thomas would never be able to explain, that angered him.

His chest was a great cesspool of drained emotions. The aftermath of which left him feeling irretrievably irate. "Goddamnit, Newt!" The boy stopped speaking, his mouth only slightly ajar. Newt was stunned but also frightened. 

"I don't care about your stupid father and I don't care about what he's making you do. What bothers me is that you want to leave, you want to go back shucking England and leave me here as if-" he paused, then the fire returned to his eyes with a vengeance and his tone doubled in volume and toxicity.  "As if I'm nothing to you."

"No. I don't. I don't want to leave you-"

"That's not what you said. That is not what you told Minho. Why is it so easy for you to lie to me,  Newt? Me of all persons?"

Have I ever lied to you, Tommy? (#flashback)

"I have never-"

"It makes me wonder about what else you might have lied about." It was the look in his eyes, livid and unforgiving. Or perhaps his stance, it was domineering and purely magisterial. Whatever it was, Newt fell silent. He matched Thomas's cold stare with his own futile, wavering, watering gaze.

Eventually, he broke. Newt staggered backward a few paces, loosely maintaining eye contact. For a second, Thomas thought he would have said something. Anything. But at the last minute, he shook his head, heading out the door and left.

Thomas heard the front door slam and a car engine start. But it was, he noted, ages before the vehicle drove off. 

Instantaneously, the world crashed down in torrents. Thomas fell along with the weight to the floor as he realised with trembling recollection that Newt was gone and Thomas had very little chance of getting him back.