Babysitting The Heir

Azriel and Mor babysit Feyre and Rhys’ young daughter so the two of them can have a little time to themselves. She ends up taking quite a strong liking to Az. Fluff, pure fluff.

The moment she slips into Azriel’s arms again she pillows her head calmly against his chest and settles completely, gazing up at him with big, innocent eyes.
Mor grins.

*************************************************************************************************

“Be good for Aunt Mor, okay?” Feyre says, dipping forwards to kiss her daughter’s forehead.

“Does she understand the concept of ‘good’ yet?” Mor chirps conversationally. Tilting her body she shifts in place and adjusts Vala in her arms to allow Rhys to kiss her goodbye as well.

“Why don’t you debate that with her this evening over some fine wine, Mor?” Rhys drawls. The soft smile on his lips is very patently for his daughter; the words dripping with sarcasm very obviously for her.

Irritated by the baby balanced in her arms and her resulting lack of free hands with which to offer her cousin some obscene gesture, she makes do with snapping at him. “Why don’t you take a long walk off a very short balcony. Without wings. You sardonic pri-“

We,” Feyre interrupts pointedly as Rhys starts smirking in a way that would have forced Mor to hand Vala back to her mother so she could do something about it, “Are leaving,” she announces. Grabbing her still obnoxiously smiling mate by his upper arm she begins to firmly drag him away from Mor before serious damage is done to his pretty face. “Now,” she adds in a slightly threatening growl as Rhys looks more than ready to continue bickering.

“Thank you for this, Mor!” Feyre calls over her shoulder as she frog-marches Rhys to the door at the other end of the corridor. “And you Az,” she adds with a smile and a wave -both hello and goodbye- tossed in the shadowsinger’s direction as he drifts serenely down the stairs to see what all the fuss is about in the hall.

Mor lifts Vala’s little hand with her first two fingers and has her wave goodbye to her parents while Az presses quiet kiss to her temple. His eyes fix on the baby in her arms with an air that suggests he’s seriously considering the possibility she might suddenly explode at any moment.

“I’m going to the roof to train for a little while,” he murmurs quietly into her hair, his voice smooth and cool as ever.

She nods, softly kissing the top of Vala’s head, “We’ll be fine,” she says, shooing her partner upstairs, suppressing her eye rolling with difficulty as she does so. “I’ll give you a shout if we need anything.” Az nods his agreement then retreats silently back the way he had come leaving Mor to take Vala into the living room alone.

It’s not surprising. He does this every time they babysit for anyone. She knows that he’s more uncomfortable than the rest of them around any of the children, even if he secretly dotes on them, and she’s never pushed him into keeping her company unless she’s overwhelmed on her own. Which doesn’t happen often; usually only when the twins are staying with them. Two years older than Vala and already holy terrors in their own right. She chuckles to herself at the thought.

She and Vala have a nice afternoon that involves nothing more strenuous for Mor than setting her on her knee, holding her hands and bouncing her up and down until she giggles. “Your parents are going to have so much fun when you start flying,” she teases as her small wings furl and unfurl excitedly.

After an hour or so a servant interrupts politely to ask Mor if she could deal with something that’s arisen from some Court of Nightmares emissaries staying with them. Nodding, Mor apologises to Vala before gently popping her into the cot in front of the large floor to ceiling windows. Then she turns and hollers up the stairs for Azriel.