Nightmares

Feyre

White light crept into the edges of my vision as I eased open my eyes. The soft yellow hues of the sunrise bathed the familiar bedroom in a golden glow. I felt relaxed and at ease here, and the sound of Rhys’s breathing next to me was comforting, the white sheets tangled around our waists. He looked more peaceful in sleep than he did in waking. Tentatively, I ran my fingers through my mate’s hair and gently caressed his face with my hand. I stretched an arm out over his chest and snuggled into his side, running my hands over his chest, tracing the patterns of his tattoos. Maneuvering around his outstretched wings to close the gaps between our bodies, I breathed in the familiar scent of citrus and jasmine, the scent of home.

Rhys convulsed, sudden and abrupt, pushing my arms away from him. His wings had vanished, and his eyes were wide open. Awake, definitely awake. But they were glazed over somehow. He wasn’t seeing reality, he wasn’t seeing me. His breath escaped in short, laboured pants. It took me a few seconds to grasp what was happening.

Rhysand

My nightmares had never been filled with darkness. My nightmares weren't made of black and shadows, my nightmares were red, the colour of blood.

I could feel the weight pressing down on me, her nails scratching into my chest. Unwanted, invasive. Her laugh ringing in my ears. I couldn't see what was going on beyond the red of her hair obscuring my vision. But I could feel what she was doing to me and I hated every moment of it.

Rhys.

I was her toy, her whore and I was utterly at her mercy.

Rhys, it’s me.

That voice… I knew that voice. Amarantha's laugh seemed to fade a little, and I saw those blue grey eyes through the fog of fear. Not Amarantha’s, hers.

“Feyre.”

Feyre 

“Rhys, Rhys, it’s me.” I reached out for him to rub his shoulders and reassure him, but I was hesitant to touch him after… after whatever that was. I was scared to agitate him more. “It’s me, Rhys. Feyre, your mate.” I reached out with my mind, tugging insistently on our bond.

It’s me. Rhys, I’m here. 

His eyes locked on mine, and I could see the fear in them. I could feel the agony cascading down the bond.

“Feyre,” he said my name aloud at the same time as I felt him say it in our minds, and I knew I had him back. He was with me again. I shifted my weight and wrapped my arms around him, rubbing his back. “Feyre,” he said again, and I nestled closer, feeling him bury his face in my shoulder. “Feyre, Feyre, Feyre,” his voice broke on my name and I heard him sob. I ran my hands up and over his shoulders, gently touching his face, stroking his cheeks, wiping away his tears with my thumbs. “I thought- I thought you were her.”

“I know,” I whispered, “I know.” I kissed him between the eyes. “Rhys, I am so sorry.” He didn’t say anything. He ran his hand over the shell of my ear and through the tangles of hair behind it. I could feel the pain within him, and I felt my heart expand and break in my chest. He brought his face close to mine, our noses brushing up against each other and our mouths just a breath apart.

Rhysand 

I knew she understood. I felt it in the bond. I could see it in the kindness, the openness, and the calm, soft acceptance of her gaze. She would always understand. Because she was my mate, and she loved me without conditions or restrictions and I did not know for the life of me what I had ever done to deserve her, but somehow, here we were.