Sensory

Feyre discovers a side to her immortality that no one warned her about. Something with which Rhys is eager to explore with her.

*************************************************************************************************

I awaited Rhysand's return eagerly.

He had been away for well over two weeks now - along with Cassian, Azriel, and a third of the vast Illyrian aerial force. This was the longest we had been apart since my time back in the Spring Court. Rhys and his men were tasked with a grueling flight across Prynthian to purge the land of any remaining demons and dark Fae after Hybern's fall. All of the Courts were helping with ground forces, but the aerial team's job was to both scout and flush out the enemy.

Rhys convinced me to stay behind with some lovely pleading. More than that though, I stayed because I knew I would only have been a liability. My body (and magic) were still recovering from the battle with Hybern and the Cauldron. Rhys was prepared to let me join him if I stubbornly wished, but I could tell in his heart he desperately wanted me safe in Velaris. I was tired too. So, so tired from the war and fighting that I eagerly complied - much to his relief.

They were due back any day now though, if his last note was to be believed.

I shuffled restlessly on the couch. I had been trying to read in the firelight on the balcony of the House of Wind for an hour, but to no avail. My body had healed completely and my magic was replenished after just a couple days of solid rest. I would have been happy, but with no pain or weakness for me to distract myself with, I was left to suffer under the weight of my growing longing.

It was maddening. I had never been such a slave to my hormones before, and the past couple of days in particular had been overwhelming. Heat radiated through my core at random intervals each hour - pooling between my legs and stealing my concentration. My skin was overly sensitive and my sense of smell had heightened considerably. I had been so exhausted by the war effort for months before, that these sudden changes caught me by complete surprise. The smallest things would remind me of my mate: the flash of a passing raven, the scent of the ocean breeze, the caress of fabric on my naked skin. Each thought sending tendrils of fire lapping into my core.

I tried to distract myself with near constant trips to the Rainbow, but that didn't help. I was horrified to discover that my arousal might not be effecting only me. Fae males, and sometimes females, would stop in their tracks as I passed by them on the streets. Some emitted guttural growls so feral that I retaliated with a snarl of my own and chased them away. Mor accompanied me once as this happened and laughed herself sick as I sent a pack of lusty males fleeing. I knew no one would honestly be stupid enough to try anything on their High Lady, and especially because I was their High Lord's mate, but best to be blunt.

Amren had come over this very night to show me some of her newest translations from the Book of Breathings. She sniffed at me once, her face switching into a predatory smile, and snuck behind me with a cool hug.

"Ohh your blood smells simply divine tonight, love." I shuddered as her nose inhaled deeply into my back.

"I can sense your desire from a mile away. Don't tell me you've been in heat this entire time that he's been gone?" She patted my cheek sweetly. "Poor little lamb." She licked her lips before leaving me to sit by the fireplace nearby and work on her notes. Utterly bewildered, and not allowing her words to register, I had plopped down with a glass of wine and a new book to distract myself with.

I reread the same sentence in my book probably eight times before sighing loudly and shifting my legs. I had missed him terribly that first week. I could tell he felt the same, for he sent near constant streams of adoration through the bond. Although his sweet messages would turn darkly wicked at night when I would moan his name and pleasure myself into oblivion.