These Stars Will Guide us Home

Set post-ACOMAF. Feyre has been undercover in the Spring Court for months, missing her home and her family, but on Starfall she decides to surprise her Mate.

*************************************************************************************************

She knew what day it was. She’d been keeping a count of how long she’d been away from her home, her family and friends, her Mate… At first it was days, then the days became weeks and on and on until there were more months between them than she could count on one hand. They’d had moments together of course, notes magically transported from one court to another, times when Rhys found reasons to travel close enough to the Spring Court so they could communicate words and images through that bond between them rather than just the strokes of emotion they had become used to. And that one meeting. The time Tamlin had been away and Feyre had managed to persuade Lucien to help her get to the border, to see Rhysand, her beautiful, powerful, wonderful Mate, her equal standing on the other side, her feet in Spring, his just outside in a patch of neutral territory. Feyre couldn’t risk leaving the court that had become her prison, and Rhys couldn’t step inside. They couldn’t touch, lest Tamlin catch his scent on her, they could only speak. But there were no words between them, just an earth shattering feeling sent down the bond by both of them; a feeling of relief to see the other alive and as okay as could be expected in that situation, of anger and despair that they couldn’t be together and would likely be separated for many weeks and months more, of sadness and sorrow and guilt and heartbreak. But most of all there was the strongest feeling of love, enough that it had nearly brought both of them to their knees, an ache so deep it reverberated in both of them still.

Tonight was Starfall. Tonight, the citizens of Velaris would fill the city streets and look up at the sky to see those spirts travelling home. They would celebrate, for Starfall was always a celebration, no matter the circumstances, but the city wouldn’t quite feel right this night, as it hadn’t felt right since the day their High Lord returned home without his Mate, his High Lady, his Feyre.

Feyre however had a secret and a plan. Whilst in the Spring Court she had be working as intended, as a spy for her people, cultivating all the information she could find about Hybern’s movements and plans, Tamlin’s involvement with them and how the rest of Prythian and the humans beyond the wall needed to prepare. Things had moved slower than expected, however, the King taking his time, no doubt trying to lull the Courts into a false sense of security before striking when they least expected. This meant Feyre had time, and lots of it, for other pursuits. So for hours each day, whilst Tamlin thought she was in her studio painting, she practiced. Her powers were getting stronger day by day, she was learning how far she could push herself, just how much power she had gained not only from being Made but also how becoming High Lady of the Night Court had altered her abilities. She’d spend hours working on each aspect, summoning water and fire, dark and light, wings and talons emerging now at her will. She practiced winnowing more than anything else. She’d started small, moving around the room, making sure using her abilities didn’t trigger any wards inside the Lord of Spring’s home, as technically a High Fae from another Court was winnowing inside his house, but Feyre never seemed to trigger anything. Maybe it was because she was recognised by the magic as being of every Court, and also of none. Once she was sure she could move undetected, she became more and more bold, waiting until Tamlin was away on ‘business’ and then spending her time winnowing further and further out of the house, around the grounds, into the forest. It didn’t matter when Tamlin locked her in as he had before, she could pass through that barrier as if it were merely air in her way. It drove Lucien mad, seeing Feyre appearing in the room before him, a smirk on her face as she grabbed an apple from the bowl on the table and then winnowed away before he could even blink. He couldn’t say anything to Tamlin; Feyre was his only link to Elain and he would not risk losing his chance to possibly see her someday, so he gritted his teeth and swore to the Mother.