Feyre's Bigspan

Feyre sat alone on the patio of their townhouse, a hot cup of tea in her hand. The sun was just beginning to rise over Velaris, bringing forth the wondrous pinks and oranges with it. She had very reluctantly climbed out of bed early this morning so that she had plenty of time for breakfast before meeting Azriel for another lesson.

Flying was slowly getting easier as the months went by, but as with most things, getting into extraordinary shape took time.

She’d even begun forming solid muscle over her abdomen.

At least now, the High Lady was able to take off but it was difficult to keep stable against the wind. Her landings were improving as well, although, she’d lost count of how many times it’d ended with a face full of bark.

When the cup was empty, she set it on the table and winnowed to their designated flying area. Her teacher was already there, as usual, waiting.

“Good morning, my Lady,” he said with a small nod.

“Morning, Az. Did you have a good night?”

“Yes, it was quite pleasant.”

Feyre called the wings to her back. When the weight of them descended onto her, she rolled her shoulders a few times, trying to adjust.

“Let’s start with some stretches,” the Illyrian suggested as he moved into a clear area.

***
Out of breath and sweating profusely, Feyre sat down on a boulder. Azriel handed her a cup of water from the portable pitcher he had brought with him. Gratefully, she took it, but summoned some of her ice powers to chill the liquid.

“Do you mind?” her friend asked, holding his own cup towards her.

“Always,” she said with a playful smile, but touched a finger to the glass.

Az turned his back to her, taking in the surroundings.

“It’s getting better,” he started. “Those back muscles still need work so maybe we should try some…”

His words starting drifting away as she started inspecting his wings. They were so much larger than hers. It made her recall a conversation from so many months ago…

Amren and Mor told me that the span of an Illyrian male’s wings says a lot about the size of...other parts.

The memory of Rhys’s expression had her smiling.

They also said Azriel’s wings are the biggest.

They never had measured…

“Feyre?” Az’s voice shook her out of her daydream.

“Sorry, I think I dozed off there for a second,” she replied with a weak smile and took a drink of her water.

“Go get some rest before Cassian beats you into the ground. We’ll pick up again tomorrow.” He held out his hand to help her up.

***

Later that night, the High Lady sat at the end of the bed, arms crossed, watching her mate stare at his wings in the mirror.

“What in the Mother’s name are you doing?”

“Cassian said my wings were looking rather small today.” Feyre rolled her eyes, but still smiled. “What do you think?”

“I think you’re vain.”

Rhys stopped looking at himself for a moment to look at her through the mirror.

“How you wound me, darling.”

“Your wings look fine.”

“But are they the biggest?” he asked, returning his attention to the large, membranous appendages.