Come Home

“Rhys, please, don’t go,” I plead.

“Feyre darling, it’s only for a couple of months. I just need to sort a few things out with the different courts now that the war is finally over.”

“Then at least take me with you! I’m your High Lady, I–”

“Exactly. You’re my High Lady,” he says, interrupting my pleas. He takes my hands gently in his and looks into my eyes with love. “You’re needed here, to sort out matters in our own Court.”

“You’re just coming up with excuses to keep me here,” I say, ripping my hands out of his. Rage is coursing through my veins like fire. “If you trap me here without you, you’re just like him.” That’s when I know I’ve stepped too far. Rhys takes a step back, in both anger and shock. I can feel the walls between our minds start to build.

“I am nothing like him, and you know it,” he snarls, his wings folding behind his back as if he can protect them from my words. “I told you a long time ago to stop making that comparison. Even if part of the reason I want you to stay here is for your own protection, I am not locking you up. I am not keeping you in this house. You are free to come and go as you wish. Visit the House of Wind. Visit Mor. Visit Amren.” He runs his hands through his hair and begins to pace in front of me. “The other High Lords are still wary of your powers, I don’t want anything happening to you–”

“I can take care of myself! I thought the war would’ve proved at least that,” I protest. My hands are beginning to tremble with nerves, and I clasp them behind my back to hide my distress from Rhys. This argument is bringing back unpleasant memories from my times at the Spring Court...my times with Tamlin. Rationally, I know that Rhys is not Tamlin. He would never be Tamlin. But today is not a rational day. Panic swells in my chest and my heart begins to race.

“I know darling, of course I know you can take care of yourself. But this is the first diplomatic trip since the end of the war, and I just want to feel things out first, there will be plenty of other trips for you to go on.”

“Rhys, please. I don’t care what the other High Lords think of my powers, they must know if they try to hurt me–”

“NO, Feyre.” Rhys stops pacing and growls at me with frustration. I flinch back. My blood is racing through my veins. I can hear my panicked heartbeat in my ears.

Da-dum.

Da-dum.

Da-dum.

Da-dum.

Rhys has the good sense to look guilty at his outburst, and softens his tone, “I’m sorry Feyre, just not this time. I just want to keep you safe.”

I just want to keep you safe…

My mind replays those words over and over and over again in my head, replacing Rhys’s smooth and rich voice with Tamlin’s rough and commanding one. Stay here Feyre. No Feyre. I just want you to be safe Feyre.

I can’t breathe, I can’t think, and I retaliate. I hit him back with words I know will cut deep.

“Like you kept your mother and sister safe?”

Rhys freezes, not even breathing. Then his wings disappear into his back. His his relaxed tunic disappears for his dark velvet suit, perfect for the High Lord of the Night Court. His mask goes on.

Self-defense.

But this time, it’s not for those who dwell in the Court of Nightmares. It’s for me. The panic that was building in my breast melts away.

“Rhys…” I murmur uncertainly, not sure how to approach him, how to break down his mask and apologize. I went too far. Much too far.

Rhys straightens the lapels of his suit jacket. “Well, if that’s all, I’ll be going now. Can’t be late to my first meeting in the Dawn Court.” His voice is cold and emotionless, and it cuts me like a knife. He won’t meet my eyes.