Chapter 002

I wake up and check the time: 5:45 AM.

I grab school clothes and quietly pad down the hall and into the shower. I clean myself off and jump out. I walk downstairs in my towel, glad that Steve's parents are always gone on business trips. I grab the box of cereal Steve bought specially for me: Y/F/C. And fill the bowl up with that and milk.

I eat before walking back upstairs and into the bathroom to change. I check the time again: 7:00. Perfect time to wake up Steve.

I jog to his room, "Harrington! Get your ass up! We got things to do!"

"Okay, I'm up, I'm up!" He grumbles.

I leave to let him get ready and run to the car, jumping in the backseat and twiddling my thumbs, waiting for him. He climbs in an looks at me in confusion.

"What are you so excited about?"

"Tina's party!" I say excitedly.

"Really? That's what's got you so happy?"

"Uh, yeah. I get to act like a stupid teenager for a whole night. I'm pretty fucking ecstatic!"

"Okay..." Steve says before pulling out of the driveway.

I hum to whatever song is on the radio. When we pick up Nancy, I don't even wince when she kisses Steve, because nothing is going to get in my way of having a good time.

(Timeskip)

I put my finishing touches on my makeup and look in the mirror. I had decided to go as Sandy from Grease. Full black outfit complete with red lip, curled hair, and a leather jacket.

I walk down the hall and knock on Dustin's door.

"Hey, loser, you excited for trick or treating?" I ask.

"Yeah. I invited a girl with us,"

"Really? Well, if she's rude to you let me know, I'll beat her ass." I chuckle.

I hug him, "See you tommorow morning, Stantz," I say, referring to his Ghostbusters costume before walking outside and waiting for Steve to pull into the driveway.

He honks at me and I flinch and roll my eyes. When I climb inside, I flick the back of his head.

"Ow, I can't help it that me and my car are stealthy like a ninja," he says rubbing his head.

Nancy chuckles "You scared the crap out of her, you deserved it."

We get to Tina's party and I spot Carol and start talking to her about boring stuff like fashion and boys, making me drink a little more than I should.

I walk over and see an unknown guy doing a kegstand.

"Forty-two! We got ourselves a new Keg King!" Tommy announces to everyone at the party.

I get a good look at he new guy. Disheveled dirty blond locks, Nice eyebrows, beautiful eyes... even better body.

The beer drips down his chest and he takes a puff of the cigarette he had Tommy hold.

He walks up to me after repeatedly yelling 'That's how you do it, Hawkins!'

"Hey, you wanna go dance?" I giggle over the loud music.

He licks his lip and leads the way into the house, on the way, we meet Steve and Nancy.

"We got ourselves a new Keg King, Harrington," I slur.

Steve takes off his Ray-Ban sunglasses and looks between us two as Nancy walks off, "What's your time?"

"Forty-two?"  I look over at the new kid for confirmation and he nods, "Yeah, Forty-two."

Steve walks off and New Kid and I start dancing in a not-so-PG-13 kinda way.

"What's your name, Sweetheart?" He whispers in my ear.

"Y/N, but I like Sweetheart better," I giggle.

"Well, then Sweetheart it is. What's a pretty girl like you doing alone at a party?"

"I came with friends," I smirk.

"Where are your 'friends'?"

"Also dancing," I frown.

"Which ones are they?" He asks looking at the other dancers. I point to Steve and Nancy.

"The old Keg King and Goody-Two-Shoes-Wheeler. I am a great third wheel," I say sarcastically.

"Why do you hang out with them?" He prods.

"Wow, New Kid, you ask a lot of questions. I think it's my turn," I make a face like I'm thinking, "Oh, here's a hard one. What's your name?"

"Billy," He smirks.

"Well, Billy, are you trying to take Steve's crown?"

"If it happens it happens." He replies nonchalantly.

"Really? I hate to say it, but King Steve flows, King Billy just... doesn't." Billy frowns and I shake my head, "That came out rude didn't it? Sorry, I have been drinking a lot tonight. Just trying to make my life feel a little less pathetic. "

"Why's it pathetic?" Billy asks.

I chuckle, "I'm in love with my best friend and have been since I met him."

"Does that mean I don't have a chance?"

"No, Billy, it means that I don't." I laugh, "I mean, how do you fall in love with someone who is already in love?"

"Dunno, don't believe in that bullshit."

"What, love?" I ask.

"Yeah--" He gets cut off by people exclaiming. I follow their glances to Steve and Nancy. Nancy has a hug red splotch on her shirt from the punch and a surprised look on her face.

"What the hell?" She sighs, before walking off into the bathroom with Steve on her heels.

I go to help but Billy grabs my arm, "Don't. It's their fight."

I nod and Billy and I go back to talking for a couple minutes.

"So, California--" I get cut off by Steve grabbing my arm and dragging me to the car.

"Ow, Steve, Stop! That hurts!" I say trying to pry his hand off of my arm.

He snaps out of his daze and releases my arm before opening the passenger door.

"Steve what about-" The sad/angry look on his face makes me stop talking and climb inside the car. He races to his side and jumps into the driver's side, before racing off. He starts mumbling something about 'bullshit' but I stay silent the whole ride back to his house.

When we get home he shuts the car off and walks into the house and into his room. I walk inside and grab clothes before heading to the bathroom.

When I get back I see Steve hunched over on the bed, his body shaking with sobs. I walk up in front of him and wrap my arms around shoulders. He instantly wraps his arms around my waist and cries into my shirt.

After a few minutes of me rubbing his back, calming him down, he pulls away. "Y/N, she called me bullshit, she called our relationship bullshit, she said we killed Barb. She told me she didn't love me," He whimpers.

"Steve, she was drunk." I reason, "She didn't mean it."

"Drunk words are sober thoughts" He sniffles. I stay silent not sure what to say.
"I--I don't--" He cuts himself off with a sob.

"Shh. I got you," I rewrap my arms around him, "I got you you're okay. You have me."

He chuckles dryly, "I always do don't I? You're always here for me."

"Always," I smile softly, " It's what we do. Now, let's lay down."

He nods and I lay down and he lays his head on my chest. I stroke his beloved hair, helping him fall asleep.

Always