Chapter 026

I open my eyes to Max and Mike shaking me awake. I put my hand up to my cheek and wince in pain, quickly pulling my hand away. I lift myself from the ground, ignoring the throbbing in my arm and look around, noticing something is missing.

"Where's El?"

The three of us take off to the main part of the mall. I hear what sounds like fireworks and roaring from the Mind Flayer. I go as fast as I can with Mike and Max in tow.

The lights flash against the walls in vibrant colors and I catch sight of Billy standing stock still in front of the Mind Flayer with El on the ground behind him.

The Mind Flayer roars at Billy as El crawls over to us. A tentacle shoots out, and Billy does his best to stop it with his bare hands.

He yells out as two more bury themselves into his sides, followed by four or five more and I feel as though everything moves in slow motion.

Billy's knees buckle and he screams at the Mind Flayer. I slump against the wall, my hand covering my mouth as a final tentacle shoots out, going through Billy's chest.

"Billy!" Max and I shriek in unison, as he falls to the ground and the tentacles remove themselves.

The Mind Flayer starts to stumble around, groaning and screeching in pain, before finally tumbling to the ground.

Mike walks over to El and my vision gets blurry as Max and I walk to Billy in shock.

We both kneel in front of him as he coughs up blood and Max puts her hands on his shoulders, "Billy, Billy, get up, please. Billy, get up. Please. Please."

"I'm sorry." He whispers, looking between the two of us.

"Billy..." I sob, as he lets out a final exhale.

I fall down, landing on my back as Max gets up, shaking him, "Billy, wake up. Billy, get you. Please, Billy... Billy!"

El pulls her away, wrapping her arms around her and I sit up, running my fingers through his hair, tears running down my face, the pain in my arm gone.

I hear Mike and El take Max away and I move closer to Billy. My body starts to tremble and my vision starts to tunnel.

"Y/n...we gotta go..." Steve says, walking up with two others, "The military is here, we gotta—"

"I left him that day at the pool."

"Y/n..." Dustin starts.

"I left him. I don't even really know why. I just... he was flirting with Mrs.Wheeler that day, and it was so disgusting. I hated it. She's married. A-And old. He always did it, why did I get so upset that one day? I could've saved him. He was probably so scared. He probably felt all alone."

"There was nothing you could've done," Robin offers.

"I fucking left him. He would've left later if I would've stayed and may... Maybe it wouldn't have happened. But I was upset over something so pointless."

"Y/n, we shouldn't be here," Dustin speaks up again.

"Y/n, there's things that they need to..." Steve sighs, "They need to move him. We can't stay here. I know you want to but—"

I cut Steve off, "Can you please...please...just go away. I can't leave Billy alone again."

"Y/n, that's not Billy." Robin says.

I close my eyes tightly, "Shut up."

Steve walks closer, placing a hand on my shoulder, "That's not him. When the Mind Flayer got him, he stopped being Billy. I know you love him. I know he was your best friend. But I also know that he loved you. He wouldn't want you to do this to yourself. That's not him. Not anymore."

I sniffle, "A week ago, he was flirting with me. Being an absolute idiot. And now...and now he's gone. Isn't that ridiculous? Isn't that the most ridiculous piece of shit you've ever heard?" I start sobbing loudly, shivering.

Steve starts to lift me, whispering softly, "Come on."

I wrap my arms around him tightly, feeling the world spin.

Dustin gasps loudly, "What the hell happened to you arm?"

"I-I hurt it...I don't...I'm cold. Why did it get so cold?"

"Shit. She told me about this earlier. I-I forgot. She's probably been running on adrenaline all day. We need to get her outside to one of those ambulances."

The world slowly fades, all sounds echoing in my mind before it's just black.

I open my eyes and find myself in the chair by Billy's lifeguard stand at the pool, "What the f..."

He climbs down, smiling at me, "Hey sweetheart."

"A-Am I..."

"What?" Billy chuckles, "Dead?" I nod, causing him to laugh louder, "That's all up to you. I fucked your arm up pretty badly, though."

"It was irresponsible of you not to go to the hospital or tell the others." A voice says behind me, and I whip around to see Barb standing with Mews in her arms.

I stare in shock, "How..? What...?"

"It's okay, Y/n. You'll be okay."

I step towards her, taking the cat from her grasp and I hold him to my chest.

Billy walks around and stands next to her, "Stop beating yourself up for our deaths."

Barb nods, "You were taking care of Will when I got lost in there. I don't blame you for not helping. I really don't."

I feel tears welling up in my eyes and I shake my head, "I should've done something. Anything."

Billy sighs, "Sweetheart, our own decisions were our fault. Stop acting like you can save everyone. You don't have to be the hero."

"I want to go back home. I wanna see Steve. I need to see him. Please."

Barb takes Mews back and Billy pulls me into a hug, "Take care of Max for me, will ya? I was a shitty older sibling to her, but you treat her like your own little sister. Just watch over her for me, please."

I pull away, nodding, "I will, I promise."

"Wake up."

I gasp and my eyes shoot open.