Chapter 005

"Sleep? Steve, are you crazy? This thing is out there! It could hurt someone!" I yell.

"I know, but you didn't sleep much last night. We can't go after it unless our heads are clear. Let's get some sleep and figure out a plan tomorrow."

(Timeskip)

Dustin gets out the supplies from the back of Steve's car. We all put on a pair of gloves and grab a bucket full of raw meat.

"Dustin! This is Lucas. Do you copy? Dustin?" Dustin's walkie goes off, muffled from the headset.

Dustin walks away to talk to his friend and I grab the gasoline from the trunk.

"I'll explain later, just meet me, Y/N, and Steve at the old junkyard," Dustin says into the mic as he strolls back up, "And bring your binoculars and wrist rocket."

"All right, let's go," Steve says shutting the trunk and securing his bat in his backpack.

"Just be there stat. Over and out," Dustin sighs, talking to Lucas.

The three of us walk on the train tracks, dropping the meat every couple of feet. I walk behind the boys trying to keep a safe distance from Steve.

"All right, so let me get this straight," Steve starts, "You kept something you knew was probably dangerous in order to impress a girl who... who you just met?"

Dustin scoffs, "All right, that's grossly oversimplifying things,"

"I mean, why would a girl like some nasty slug anyway?" Steve asks.

"I like you," I mumble to myself.

"An interdimensional slug? Because it's awesome," Dustin retorts.

"Well, even if she thought it was cool, which she didn't, I... I just...I don't know. I just feel like you're trying way too hard."

Too hard? Says the one who tried bringing flowers to your one night stand.

"Well, not everyone can have your perfect hair, all right?" Dustin rolls his eyes.

"It's not about the hair, man. The key with girls is just... just acting like you don't care." Steve shrugs.

I shake my head at this. Really? Acting like you don't care makes us think you're no good assholes. It makes us feel bad about ourselves.

"Even if you do?" Dustin asks.

"Yeah, exactly. It drives them nuts," Steve adds.

I scoff and speed up to walk in front of them, subtly trying to get them to drop the stupid conversation. I can't tell Dustin Steve's wrong. This is the closest thing he's had to a father-son conversation.

"Then what?" Dustin questions.

"You just wait until, uh... until you feel it."

"Feel what?"

It's like before it's gonna storm, you know? You can't see it, but you can feel it like this, uh..." Steve takes a little to think about the right word, "Electricity, you know?"

"Oh, like in in the electromagnetic field when the clouds in the atmosphere--"

"No, no, no, no, no. Like a Like a-- Like a sexual electricity,"

I choke on the air at this. Did he really just say that to my brother? He's in 8th grade!

I turn around and shake my head at Steve to get him to shut up.

Steve smirks, "You feel that and then you make your move."

"So that's when you kiss her?" Dustin asks.

I stop in my tracks and turn around. "No, whoa, whoa. We're done. No more. I can't listen to my little brother talk about 'sexual electricity' and kissing."

The two of them ignore me and walk around me, "Sure, okay, some girls, yeah, they want you to be aggressive. You know, strong, hot and heavy, like a... I don't know, like a lion, But others, you gotta be slow and stealthy, like a... like a ninja." I catch up with them and remain quiet behind the two boys.

"What type is Y/N?" Dustin whispers.

"Y/N's different. She's different then the other girls," Steve says looking back at me. I roll my eyes and look away from him until he turns back around.

"Yeah, my sister's pretty special, I guess." Dustin nods.

"Yeah. Yeah, she is." Steve sighs.

I'm right here! Seriously?! Can you not talk about me when I'm right here?

"But this girl's special, too, you know. It's just, like, something about her,"

Steve stops Dustin and puts a hand on the smaller boys shoulder, "Hey."

"What?" Dustin asks in confusion.

"You're not falling in love with this girl, are you?" Steve inquires.

"Uh, no. No." Dustin murmurs.

Steve resumes walking, "Okay, good. Don't."

"I won't," Dustin reassures.

"She's only gonna break your heart, and you're way too young for that shit." Steve says throwing a piece of meat in front of himself. We walk in comfortable silence until Steve speaks up again.

"Fabergé."

"What?" Dustin and I ask in unison.

Steve points to his hair, "It's Fabergé Organics. Use the shampoo and conditioner, and when your hair is damp--it's not wet, okay? When it's damp. You do four puffs of the Farrah Fawcett spray."

"Farrah Fawcett spray?" I giggle and Dustin chuckles.

"Yeah, Farrah Fawcett," Steve mocks, coming to a stop.

He points at me and Dustin, "Either of you tell anyone I just told you that... and your ass is grass. You're both dead. Do you understand?"

Dustin nods his head quickly and I roll my eyes and nod once.

Steve sighs, "Okay."

We all continue walking down the road to the junkyard.

A/N: I'm probably gonna publish one chapter every Friday