Chapter 004

I stay up all night with Dustin, our backs pressed against the door to keep the Mini Demogorgan from coming out of his room.

Mom walks by us in the hall and informs us she wanted to look in our rooms for Mews.

"Uh, I forgot to tell you, Mr.McCorkle called. He said he saw her wandering around Loch Nora." I tell the lie Dustin I thought up all night.

"How did my poor baby get all the way out there?" She cries.

"I don't know," Dustin replies standing up to hug her, "Lost, I guess. But they're gonna look for her. And me and Y/N will stay here just in case they call again. And you're gonna go help look? Yeah?"

She nods and goes to find her purse and keys. She tells us goodbye before going to look for our cat that she's never going to find.

"We're terrible people," I groan standing up.

"We need to lure Dart into the cellar. If we lock him in there, everyone, including him, will be safe." Dustin sighs.

"Dustin, we need to kill it."

"What? No!" Dustin screams. "He's my friend. I didn't know he was a Demogorgan, but he's still my friend."

"Okay, fine! But I'm doing this alone. Go open the cellar, I'll lure him out while you clean up what's left of Mews and get ahold of the party because we need serious help."

I get the bologna out of the refrigerator and put on Dustin's old catcher gear from when he played little league baseball. He walks back inside and hands me a hockey stick. We make a bologna trail from his room to the bottom of the cellar.

"If I die..." I trail off not even sure how to finish the sentence.

We walk back inside the house and I make Dustin hide in my room until I got Dart outside.

"All right, Dart," I call from outside the door, "Breakfast time." I swing the door open and run to the backyard as fast as I can in the gear. I pass the cellar and go into the shed, shutting the door behind me.

I watch out of a space between the boards for the little monster. I see him walking out, eating every piece of bologna he passes. He gets to the cellar and pauses he turns back looking in my direction.

I jump back, not sure if it saw me or not. I start to hyperventilate, I put my hand over my mouth to muffle the breathing.

I check out the crack again and see that Dart has gotten closer, staring at the shed. I throw my back against the wall and try to catch my breath.

Flashback

"S-so come on and let me know," I sing softly to Will, teeth chattering, "Should I stay o-or should I g-g-go? Should I stay or should I go now? Should I s-stay or should I go now? If I go there will be trouble. If I stay it will be double."

End of Flashback

I have to do this. I've got to make sure this thing doesn't hurt anybody or anything else.

I inhale a deep breath and kick the shed door open.

I run forward and hit the Mini Demogorgan with the hockey stick as hard as I can, making it fly into the cellar.

I rush over and grab the doors of the cellar slamming them just in time to stop Dart from getting out.

I lay up against the doors and pant, "I'm sorry. You ate my cat."

Dustin brings out a chain and a lock and I lock the monster in.

"Any luck on the party?" I ask getting a drink of water.

"No, I'm going to go to the Wheelers, see if Mike's there, wanna come with?"

"No," I shake my head, "But if he is or he isn't come straight back here so we can figure this shit out." Dustin nods and starts riding his bike off to the Wheelers.

I go to my room and take off the heavy gear. I take a long shower and switch my clothes out for jeans and a Y/F/C t-shirt. I look outside and watch the sun set, Dustin's still not home.

When I get out I see Steve Harrington walking up my driveway with a bouquet of flowers in his hands. Dustin arrives at the same time I open the door.

"Steve," Dustin stops him, "Are those for our mom?"

"No," Steve says as I walk outside.

"Good," Dustin replies taking the flowers and tossing them over his shoulder.

Dustin walks towards me with an apologetic smile, "You said we needed help." I nod and he turns back to Steve, "We have bigger problems then your love life. Do you still have that bat?"

"Bat? What bat?" Steve asks putting his hands on his hips.

"The one with the nails?" Dustin rolls his eyes.

"Why?" Steve asks walking forward.

"Dustin's pet got out and we need some... help with it."

"I didn't know he was a--"

"Wait, pet? and the two of you can't handle a what, lizard?"

"It's not a lizard," I chuckle dryly.

"How do you know?" Steve asks.

"How do I know if it's not a lizard?" I raise my eyebrows.

"Yeah! How do you know that it's not just a lizard?!"

I scoff, "Because it's face opened up and it ate my cat!"

Steve nods in agreement and jabs his thumb to his car and him and Dustin get the bat while I go inside and get a flashlight.

The three of us walk out to the cellar. We listen for Dart but the cellar is dead quiet. Steve points the flashlight at the doors, "I don't hear shit."

"He's in there," I mumble, "I put him in there myself."

Steve taps the doors with his bat and nothing happens. He lifts the bat and slams it down on the doors. Again, nothing.

He points flashlight in Dustin's face, "All right, listen. I swear, if this is some sort of Halloween prank, you're dead,"

"It's not," Dustin replies closing his eyes.

I step in front of Dustin and Steve
puts the flashlight down, "It's not a prank, I promise."

"You got a key to this thing?" Steve asks turning his attention back to the cellar doors.

Dustin takes it out of his pocket and hands it to me. I lean down and take the chain and padlock off of the doors.

Steve lifts up the doors and I push Dustin behind me.

I lean over the side of the cellar and shine the light down.

Steve lifts his hand up, "Let me see that." I hand him the flashlight and points it down the stairs. I squint and don't see Dart anywhere.

"He must be further down there," I murmur, "Dustin, stay up here in case he tries to escape."

Dustin nods without arguing and I go inside and get the hockey stick and another flashlight.

I kiss Dustin on the cheek and Steve and I start walking down. We get to the bottom step and I start taking deep breaths to calm myself. I walk forward and turn the light on. Steve leans down and picks up something slimy with his bat.

I point my flashlight around and notice a hole in the wall, "Oh, shit," I whisper.

"What?" Steve asks following the beam of my flashlight, "Oh, shit."

I point my flashlight deeper into the hole bot the hole goes farther than we can see with the flashlight, "What do we do?" I ask.

"Sleep. Figure out a plan tomorrow."