Chapter 013

We pull up at the Byers' house and Joyce is the first one inside. Steve goes to walk in and I grab his wrist, stopping him.

"What the fuck was that, Steve?"

"You're mine. He was all over you!"

I scoff, "I'm not your property! And I can talk to other people! It's not like I'm crying for him when I'm hurt!"

"I knew you were still pissed about that!"

"Of course I'm still pissed about it! You called me Nancy! That fu--"

"Billy's the one that hurt me!" Steve says, voice raising.

"He's working on changing! You don't know how his home life is! You have no right to judge him! And we're just friends!" I yell at the same level.

"Just friends, huh?" Steve asks, walking closer to me, face red from screaming, "We were just friends, and look what happened!"

"Obviously nothing good! We're fighting in your ex-girlfriend's boyfriend's yard!"

"Why does it always come back to that?! I don't love her! I never did! I love you!"

"Well, maybe you shouldn't," I scream back, at the top of my lungs, walking closer.

Hopper and Jonathan come out. Hopper pulls Steve away fron me and Jonathan pulls me away from Steve.

I glare back at Steve and Jonathan grabs my face in his hands, making me look at him, "What's going on, Y/N?"

I yank out of his reach and start walking down the driveway, going home.

I get pretty far down the road and a car slows down next to me, I don't look up, but instantly know it's Steve.

"Y/N, get in the car. Please."

"No, Steve. I'm done. We're...we're done. I'm sorry."

"What? No. You can't--"

I shake my head, "No, Steve. I can't do this. I need to finish Junior year, and you have college soon, I just...can't."

"Y/N, you don't know what you're doing."

"Steve. It was a bad idea to begin with. I'm sorry, but I'm breaking up with you."

Steve pulls the car over to the side of the car and gets out. He jogs to catch up to me and grabs my arm.

"Don't do this Y/N."

"Steve--"

"No! You promised. You promised to be here, always."

"Promises are meant to be broken," I pull out his grip and run home.