Chapter 008

Chief Hopper explains what happened on the way to The Byers' house. All of us climb out and go inside. I look around at all the drawings on the wall and floors. Hopper uses the phone to get a hold of the other police or the military or something.

I notice Will laying on the couch asleep and I go up to him. I kneel in front of him and stroke his hair for 30 minutes before speaking.

"I'm so sorry, bud," I whisper, "Sorry I wasn't there. I should have been." I feel a hand on my shoulder and look up to see Steve and Jonathan.

I stand up and let Jonathan take my spot and I hug Steve tightly.

We go into the kitchen and I sit in between Max and Mike.

"They didn't believe you, did they?" Dustin asks Hopper when he hangs up the phone.

"We'll see," Hopper sighs.

"'We'll see?' Mike scoffs, "We can't just sit here while those things are loose!"

"We'll stay here, and we wait for help," Hopper walks off to go talk to Joyce and I lay my head down on the table.

Mike stands up and walks out of the room, causing me to lift my head. He comes back with a few brain puzzles, "Did you guys know that Bob was the original founder of Hawkins AV? He petitioned the school and everything. Then he had a fundraiser for equipment. Mr. Clarke learned everything from him. Pretty awesome, right?"

"Yeah," Dustin and Lucas agree.

Mike shakes his head, "We can't let him die in vain."

"What do you want to do, Mike?" Dustin asks, "The Chief's right on this. We can't stop those Demo-dogs on our own."

"Demo-dogs?" Max questions

"Demogorgan dogs," Dustin makes a mashing motion with his hands, "Demo-dogs. It's like a compound. It's like a play on words--"

"Okay," Max stops him.

Dustin turns back to Mike, "I mean, when it was just Dart, maybe..."

"But there's an army now," Lucas sighs.

"Precisely," Dustin nods.

"His army," Mike mutters.

"What do you mean?" Steve asks.

"His army! Maybe if stop him, we can stop his army, too."

Mike runs off and comes back with a picture of a giant shadow thing.

"The shadow monster," Dustin mumbles.

"It got Will that day in the field. The doctor said it was like a virus, it infected him," Mike informs.

"And so this virus, it's connecting him to the tunnels?" Max inquiries.

"To the tunnels, monsters, the Upside Down, everything."

"Whoa. Slow down. Slow down." Steve complains, not understanding.

"Okay, so, the shadow monster's inside everything. And if the vines feel something like pain, then so does Will," Mike explains.

"And so does Dart," Lucas adds

"Yeah," Mike nods, "Like what Mr. Clarke taught us. The hive mind."

"Hive mind?" Steve asks.

"Do you ever pay attention in class?" I groan, "It's a collective consciousness. A super-organism."

Mike points to the drawing, "And this is the thing that controls everything. It's the brain."