The One with the Marriage Prep

"Uh..professor..? Can you say something? You are scaring us here"

They had come to see the Headmistress for it seemed the logical way. They took turns to explain whatever happened so far including how Hermione became pregnant and what Pansy did. Now they are looking for any kind of reaction from her but the old lady just kept staring at them intently as of trying very hard to come to terms with the truth.

"Ah..yes Ms.Granger, sorry it's just..it's a lot to take in. Anyway, we will question Ms.Parkinson and appropriate action will be taken. As for you, I think you know how irresponsible you have been, living in muggle neighbourhood, risking Hogwarts' secrecy and all. Treat this is a very strict warning, Ms.Granger, for I won't just be warning you next time. " McGonagall sternly finished.

"Yes..yes professor. We understand completely". Draco and Hermione chorused.

Suddenly the old lady's expression softened. "It's very nice to see you both, after all that you suffered during the war. We look forward to seeing you in the ministry soon,Ms.Granger" she gave one of her rare, genuine smiles to them.

"Thank you, Professor. I start training next week. And I apologize again for everything that happened so far." Hermione smiled in return.

"Apology accepted. Now have you fixed the date yet?"

"Sorry professor..what date?" Draco asked, thoroughly confused.

"The wedding date..don't tell me you haven't started planning it?" McGonagall asked,surprised.

They both were utterly shocked. Not even once did they imagine a thing like this happening.

Hermione somehow recovered and spoke. "Um..professor as I said, Emma was accidentally conceived and we both don't..I mean we don't love each other..." She looked at Draco as if asking him to help her out.

"That is all part of the past, Ms.Granger. But how do you expect the society to take this? You cannot get selected for the position in the ministry, Mr.Malfoy cannot continue as a healer unless this is settled. After marriage whatever you do, even if you get a divorce that's a separate issue. But in order to come clean, you have to proceed with the ceremony right away. I mean...think of Hogwarts reputation..if word gets out one of the students accidently got pregnant during one of the events! We can never dream of educating new students again..I am surprised the supposedly brightest witch of our age didn't even think of this"

"We will think about it, Professor. Thank you for your time." Draco surprisingly answered, leaving Hermione stunned.

They said their greetings and left. Back at their place, Hermione was fuming, making no moves other than to occasionally check on Emma.

Draco softly started. "Hermione, I know you are angry"

"You think?"

"Please, just hear me out. It is the logical thing to do. Not because you need a career, not because I must continue as healer but because Emma needs a proper childhood. How do you think she will be treated when she starts school? Do you want dirty gossips and hate slogans to follow her everywhere? I had thought you grew tired of all that after your time with Potter but apparently no. Trust me when I say childhood is what shapes the future. I know that better than anyone.."

Something in his voice made her turn around. "That is why you took up healing isn't it, Draco? As a sign of saying sorry to affected people..?"

"You are right. I was a cripple, a mess after the war got over, what with everyone despising the coward that I was. McGonagall was the only one who helped us..told me the only way to heal myself is to heal others. I accepted, deciding to least live the rest of my life being useful."

"Sorry, I didn't know that. You are right, Draco. She needs her parents, our love, to grow and live normally. Yes, we can get married. That is the last thing I imagined I would say but here it goes..'I am getting married to Draco Malfoy!!'"

They just stared at each other for indefinite amount of time, their eyes searching for something out of each other. Then they embraced, Draco softly wiping the lone tear from her cheeks, Hermione gently ruffling his hair and settling down her head on his shoulder. They smiled, they laughed, they cried a little all the while hugging and comforting each other. Just then Emma let out a loud squeal, breaking the spell.

The preparations took place with a full swing. They visited people together and informed the occasion.

Harry just nodded, shedding a few tears and understanding her situation. Ron just kept saying 'bloody hell, how did this happen' in different combinations. Ginny and Luna cried profusely, hugging and kissing Hermione, proving just how supportive they can be.

Of course Molly and Arthur were overjoyed and shocked at the same time.

"If Hermione lets out a little tear, the whole of weasley's wizard wheezes' inventory will be put to use, mind you" George warned Draco, much to his dread.

On Draco's side however, there were mostly heartbreaks all from his girl 'followers' with the exception of Pansy who surprisingly took it well. Blaise, Goyle and some of his friends just shook their heads and congratulated him on his 'doom' as they called it.

Hermione was totally hesitant to inform Draco's parents since she is a muggleborn and all. When they actually did it, Narcissa just smiled and said "As much as it is shocking, it is also a way of apologizing to the muggleborn community. You have made the right decision, Draco. God bless you both" she smiled.

"Narcissa, can we also meet Mr.Malfoy?" Hermione asked, noticing he was not to be seen anywhere in Malfoy Manor.

"I gather Draco has not told you about him, Hermione. We faced the worst after the war, dear. We were shunned and deprived of all privileges. My husband was removed forcefully from his position at the ministry. It was only because of your Headmistress we are still surviving. Lucius got into a bit of a state where he cannot react to anything around him. He is currently at St.Mungos. We visit him regularly." She wiped the tears.

Hermione moved and sat near her,placing a hand on her shoulder as a sign of comfort. Narcissa just smiled sadly.

After sometime they said their greetings and left. Hermione vowed internally to do something about it.