chapter two.

CHAPTER TWO
"SMOKE FILLED BATHROOMS"

 PIPER AND GIL SAT SIDE BY SIDE at the campfire, holding in their laughter the best that they could

PIPER AND GIL SAT SIDE BY SIDE at the campfire, holding in their laughter the best that they could. alexis was playing her guitar, egging the campers to sing along to her godawful song.

"i think my ears are bleeding," gil whispered into pipers ear, his lips brushing her earlobe. "i say we sneak away the moment she turns her back."

piper smiled mischievously, and turned to face him. "i think thats a splendid idea." she turned to look at alexis, who had moved on to a new song. the sound of alexis's singing voice made piper shudder, and gil busted out laughing when alexis's voice cracked suddenly. she stopped singing immediately, and her face turned a shade of red.

"i think thats enough singing for tonight," she said with a sniff. she turned her back to set her guitar down, and when she turned to face the crowd once again piper and gil were gone. the other campers snickered at the woman, whose face was scrunched up with anger. "where did they go?" she was answered with shrugs and snickers. no one would tell.

because what alexis and the other counselors didn't know was the campers had silently agreed on their number one rule.

snitches get stitches.

AS THEY RAN AWAY, GIL WRAPPED his hand around pipers, squeezing tight as they ran towards their cabin. they laughed the whole way, and campers who had also snuck away watched them carefully. once they reached their cabin the collapsed onto pipers bed, given it was the closest to the door.

"if i didn't know any better i would have thought you've run away from a campfire before," gil spoke through heavy breaths.

"and how do you know i haven't?"

"because i came to this camp last summer. you weren't here, doroha. i would have noticed." piper looked over at gil, who was staring at the ceiling and smiling.

"what in the bloody hell does doroha mean?" piper asked.

"its darling in ukrainian," gil answered, and piper lowered her brows. "my grandmother was born there. she moved here when she was pregnant with my mother. she was beginning to teach me ukrainian, but she passed away."

"i'm sorry to hear that," piper said, and turned her head back to face the ceiling.

"eh its fine. she was a hag anyway," gil answered nonchalantly, cracking a small smile. piper gasped at the crudeness, but soon let a smile spread onto her lips. gil stood up suddenly, and grabbed a backpack hanging on the closet door.

piper sat up too, frowning in confusion, and watched him dump the contents of his bag onto his bed.

her frown quickly turned into an amused grin when she took in all of the sodas, snacks, a bunch of packs of gum, and what looked like fifty packs of marlboros cigarettes.

"what the fuck!" piper exclaimed, getting off the bed and walking towards him. "how did you get all of this?"

"i 'borrowed' it from the convenience store on my road," gil shrugged, and piper reached for a pack.

"you smoke?"

"all the time, doroha. it's a nasty habit, but its satisfactory."

"i've never done it. my mom would flip her shit." she examined it, and lowered her eyebrows. "says it can kill you."

"it can, but not for a while. it takes a little while for all of the black sludge to fill your lungs." piper playfully slapped gil and made a disgusted face.

"thats horrid-"

"say horrid again," gil cut her off, and piper rolled her eyes.

"horrid."

"i love your accent. say more words," he commanded, and piper laughed softly, shaking her head.

"can i try one?" she asked, and gil shrugged.

"sure, but you have to do it in the bathroom."

"why can't i do it out here?" piper asked, and gil motioned for her to follow him. he led her to window and tried to open it.

"the windows don't open in here. i had this same cabin last year, ironically. had a boy named michael as my bunk mate. he was a bore, very depressed. he never wanted to have fun with me. i tried having fun with the other campers, but all the girls wanted to do was make out, and the guys wanted to vandalize everything and smoke all of my cigarettes. but you, you have the potential to be a lot of fun. follow me."

"i'm fun, and i don't want to make out with you. win win situation," piper spoke as they walked into the bathroom. it was very small, with a tiny shower, a sink with very little counter space, a cupboard above the sink, and a toilet pushed into the far corner. on one of the walls there was a window. there was barely room for one person in there, let alone two.

"i don't see why you don't want to make out with me. i'm hot." piper rolled her eyes. "but this window opens, so the smoke can air out."

"what does it matter if it smells like smoke?" she asked, and watched gil tear the plastic off of the pack. he elbowed her in the stomach in the process, and laughed before muttering a very unapologetic 'sorry.'

piper felt a warm feeling bubble in her stomach, one that made her feel almost sick. it was the feeling she got when she was about to do something she wasn't supposed to. a mix of fear and excitement. she had become accustomed to the feeling.

"the counselors do a cabin check every few days. don't know why they do it, it's not like we can get anything from any stores around here. last i checked there was no sign of human life for miles," gil explained, and pressed a cigarette between his teeth. "we can share the cig, you don't need a full one your first time." piper nodded, and gil pulled a lighter out of his jean pocket.

she watched him light the cigarette, observing the way the end burnt a bright orange, mesmerized.

"you have to inhale slowly, or it'll fill your lungs too quickly," gil explained. "take it slow for your first time." he them handed her the cigarette.

she pressed it in between her lips, and slowly inhaled. the feeling of the smoke filling her lungs was absolutely euphoric, and piper berated herself for not trying sooner.

"you need to exhale, piper," gil told her, and she nodded and opened her mouth, letting the wisps of smoke fall from her lips.

"that was absolutely amazing!" she exclaimed, and gil smiled. "can i, can i try again?"

"be my guest. you're a natural, doroha," gil leaned against the counter, watching piper press the cigarette to her lips again.

gil didn't know how to tell her, but piper was absolutely, without a doubt beautiful.

•••