Ultron

I pressed the button for the 48th floor. My hands were fidgeting with the hem of my dress as I went up. What were people going to think. I was going to be one of the only kids at the party, surely that would make people uncomfortable. The only thing that was giving me comfort was that I looked older than fifteen.

I sighed and touched my hair again, amazed by what Nat had done. She had put it up in a ponytail and curled it. She also left some small curls to frame my face. She didn't do any makeup because she told me I didn't need it, and I was fine with that.

I already feel unnatural in a dress. I don't think makeup would do anything to soothe my nerves, if I kept having to worry about not messing it up.

I dropped my hands to my sides, and the elevator dinged to let me know I had arrived. I took a deep breath, and then the doors opened.

There weren't too many people. Less than a hundred and they were all just laughing and conversing with each other. Nobody seemed to notice me join the party.

"Kyra!" I stand corrected. I looked over to see Tony standing with a man with dark skin and Thor. I hesitantly made my way over to them, trying so hard to not trip in my heels.

When I reached them, Tony put a hand on my shoulder and used the other one to gesture to the man. "Kyra this is James Rhodes, but we call him Rohdey. Rhodey, Kyra." The man grabbed my hand and shook it.

"Pleasure to meet you," he said. Then he went into this story of him saving the day. "Well, you know, the suit can take the weight, right? So, I take the tank, fly it right up to the General's palace, drop it at his feet, I'm like 'BOOM' You looking for this?"

I coughed to cover my laugh. The blank stares that Tony and Thor were giving him. "Boom you looking for.." he repeated. "Why do I even talk to you guys? Everywhere else that story kills."

You of boredom, I almost added.

"That's the whole story?" asked Thor.

"Well, yeah," James said, looking a little miffed. "It's a War Machine story."

"Well, it's very good then," Thor said, giving a fake laugh. "It's impressive."

"Quality save. So, no Pepper. She not coming?"

"No," Tony said. Pepper had left right after taking me shopping, and it had made me feel bad to know that she took a day off just for me. Just then, Maria Hill walked up.

"Hey what about Jane," Maria said. "Where are the ladies gentlemen?"

"Well, Miss Potts has a company to run," boasted Tony.

"Yes," Thor said airily. "I'm not even sure what country she's in right now. Her work on the convergence has made her the world's foremost astronomer." He looked at Tony to say as if top that.

"And the company that Pepper runs is the largest tech conglomerate on earth. It's pretty exciting."

"There's even talk of Jane getting a...um..uh...Nobel Prize?"

I smirked and raised my eyebrows at them, while Maria said, "Yeah, well, they must be...uh..busy, because they'd hate missing seeing you two guys together." She gave a fake cough. "Testosterone! Oh, excuse me."

I snorted and covered my mouth to stop my laugh from bubbling out of my throat.

"Want a lozenge?" asked James.

Maria hummed a yes in response and the two walked off.

"Jane's better," said Thor, and this time, I didn't bother to keep my laugh in.