Chapter Five: Time To Get Ready

I'd only moved just a little way away from my mother when I heard a vicious scream. I turned to see Marelda plunge a sword into my mother's stomach. Mama gasped and held onto the sword as Marelda began to slowly pull it out, with a smug look.

  "No!" I screamed and swung my sword out from where it was safely hidden. I saw the looks of astonishment on their faces, maybe from seeing a royal woman or maybe because they knew who's sword it was. I saw the look on Marelda's face when she swung her sword to face me, she didn't think I would be able to use it, and that's where she was going to get hurt. She swung it like she knew I was a goner. I just moved out of the way and swung my sword so that she now had blood coming out of her cheek. She gasped and touched the wound.

  "So we've got ourselves a little warrior." Marelda says and leaves the room. I don't really pay attention to her. I place the sword back where it's supposed to be and run to mama.

  "Mama?" I whisper. Mama turns and smiles at me.

  "I just want you to know Eliza. You are the most amazing daughter I have ever had. Your father would have been so proud of you." Mama chokes and I could tell she was slipping away. A tear splattered from my eyes and onto her dress.

  "Mama, don't die. You have to stay alive, for me." I whispered, tears falling from my eyes. I watched her smile at me and I knew right then and there that she had already given up.

  "It's time I see your father again." Mama says.

  "NO! I'm not done with you yet." I scream. She just closes her eyes. "Mama, please. I need you."

  "I love you, Princess Eliza." is all mama says, as she breathes one last time. I hunch over her and cry silent tears, and then an iradical feeling comes over me.

  "Mama?" I whisper, hoping she's alive. "Mama? Mama, no! Not yet! You can't leave me." I scream and I cry at her, but she never moves. She just stays there.

  "Eliza. We have to go." Uncle Alexander says. He grabs my arm, and I immediatly yank my arm out of his hold.

  "No!" I yell and I throw myself on mama, not caring if I get blood on my dress, I already have her blood on my hands.

  "I'm sorry Eliza." I look up to see stupid Prince Edward.

  "Do not apoligize for something you have not done. It was Marelda who drove that sword through my mother and it will be her who will apologize or someone help her, I will kill her the first chance I get." I tell him. Edward picks me up and Alexander picks mama up and we all head out the door. When Edward and I reach my carriage I look him straight in the face and ask the hardest question I've ever had to ask.

  "Who are you going to fight for?"

  "I-I don't know." Edward whispers. I look down at his shoes as another bout of pain engolfs me.

  "Umm, okay. Good bye Edward." I turn and feel someone tug on my arm.

  "I'm not saying that I'm fighting with my uncle." As I am about to change that he changes it, "I mean your uncle. I just don't know what to believe right now."

  "Believe this, I do love you, Edward. I warned you that I was going to hurt you, and you were foolish enough to not listen. I'm never going to make you happy." I tell him. I place my palm on his face, and then I lean up to place a kiss on his cheek. "Good bye Edward."

  "Not like this." he whispers and pulls me close, kissing me before I have a chance to object. I close my eyes and savor this last kiss because if he won't come with me now, he won't come. The kiss is shorter than I wanted it to be, but it would have to do. "I do love you, Eliza."