Chapter 1: When Love Hits a Bump in the Middle of Your Love Life

Everyday was just like yesterday. When you thought you were going to be happy for the rest of your life with your "love one", think again. The teenage years sure did went by quick. Because now I have a shitty job that doesn't give me enough earnings to be able to maintain rent while my girlfriend is going to an arts institute to become a "professional" designer. Yeah, sure; let's just hope that she will find a job that could generate a huge flow of income every month to maintain this small apartment, which I doubt. And also, I have to look after my 2 year old son since now I am the man of the house while she just pushes all the responsibility to me to look after him. I mean, of course, I am the father but she literally does not have any sense of responsibility. When she lives on campus for like almost a year, at least pay a visit or give me a call so I could give you updates on how our son is doing.

I'm really curious on what the hell she's doing all day at that art institute. Probably making out with guys or something. Is one kid not enough for you or do you want to make more with another guy? (Okay, she's not a slut or anything like that; I'm just reflecting on my current mood. So, Kate, please don't kill me if you are reading this.)

You know, my life could have been a lot better if I haven't met her. My parents and I had a huge quarrel and bickering back then so they refuse to acknowledge me as their beloved child. Thinking back, they might be right after all. Why the hell did I not listen to them? Stupid me. My parents and I never communicated after I moved in with Kate.

         See kids, chasing your love life and sacrificing everything at the same time are only found in movies and shows. In reality, it is a total nightmare and a regrettable decision. I could've been a neurosurgeon or a psychology major, but I had to drop out my freshmen year as an undergraduate student. That's right. After the disapproval of my parents with my girlfriend, they stopped paying tuition as a whole to force me to cut the ties with her and pursue higher education. And do you know what college I was attending?

Harvard. That's right. Fucking Harvard!

Funny isn't it? I'm a gullible fool to have pursued my love above all than success. I could've been so accomplished after Harvard. We even had kids and began a family, so there is no way I'm going back to my parents. Now I'm a Dunkin Donut employee and a part-time dishwasher. This is what I get for being a dumbass all along.

Do you know what's also funny? Kate is coming back finally and at the same time, I was contacted by the landlord to "move as soon as possible due to failure of keeping up with the rent fee". Great timing! Now, there was this air of shock and confusion in the atmosphere when Kate sauntered into the apartment, careful and cautious steps, while finding boxes and luggage bags scattered everywhere.

"What the hell is going on, Lin?"

"The landlord told us to leave..."

"Why didn't you pay rent on time? How many times is this? A couple of times?"

At this point, I tried to not succumb to my anger....

because she's really pushing it.

There was a moment of silence in the living room while I thrusted some of my Hawaiian beach outfits into luggage number 1. Doesn't look like we're going to go to the beach anyway with my current circumstance. Not because I can't afford gas money but because I'm just not in the mood to go. Ever. All the sounds that echoed in the apartment were the loud muffling sound of clothes and zippers. I glanced at her with the corner of my eyes, thinking that she might transition her focus somewhere else. But she didn't. She kept staring at me, probably with a mixture of impatience and agitation due to my silence.

My lips open a couple of times but nothing was flown out of my mouth. Just silence. No words. Nothing.

"What are you? Mute?"

"Says the person that never bothered to answer my call or text."

"I told you.....I was busy. You should've told me when we were on the phone."

"And yeah, when was the last time you decided to call. Did you not see all the missed calls on your phone?"

Aha! Gotcha bitch!

She tried to avoid my gaze. Hope she has a comeback for that one. Now, it's her turn to play mute. I waited for a response but she kept silent.

"Were you that busy in school? Not even at least respond to a text message?"

"Look, Lin. I was really busy that I've ignored everyone that tried to contact me. It's.....really complicated. I have a lot of projects to finish and it's really time consuming."

"I bet you flirted with some hot guys while you were away didn't you. I bet that must be fun."

"Wait...what? What kind of person do you think I am? You know me for years. You think I have the guts to cheat?"

"I should've just never talked to you 'that day'..." I muttered under my breath.

"Excuse me....."

"Never mind."