Chapter 15: Are You There?

An awkwardness befell upon us as we sauntered back on the path home. Every time my body urged onward, Vicky's elbow slightly nudged me as she tip-toed closer at every step. When I had a chance to bat her a quick glance, she looked like Kate for a split-second for some odd reason. Maybe it was because she still prances vividly in my memory.

The leather-suited chauffeur greeted us with a great exaggeration of his flimsy arm that swayed back and forth so pliantly that it might just fall off. With the duck of her Victorian head, she entered the limousine and rolled down the window.

"Are you busy tomorrow?" She asked.

"Not really. Why?"

Her grin stretched wider.

"My parents aren't home tomorrow. Do you want to come by to my house again?"

"Well......"

"I'll see you!" She said winking, cutting me off and implying that she wasn't going to take "no" for an answer. The car drove off into the distant and as the car engined pass me, I realized a familiar burst of emotions was conveyed from the house standing before me.

It was Kate's house.

Her window was dim and there was no presence of livelihood in her room. The outer walls were splattered with gooey moss that painted a depressing portrait of abandonment of the house as if it was its own entity. Every neighboring building were illuminated with light and only this house seemed to be the outlier.

Also, the house was tilted in a way like as if a person was to tilt their head in curiosity. A hard swallow went down my esophagus as I began to approach Kate's house. What am I doing? What should I do when I get there? What if her mom or dad answers the door?

The utility pipes were next to the house and the vivid outline of my teenage-self back then was climbing it to see her. I couldn't help but smile a little. When I reached the aging door, the white paint was beginning to slowly chip and erode away. The door knob was deeply rusted and my hand tried to twist, which came to a sudden halt since it was clearly locked.

For some reason, the door felt oily which I wasn't so sure it was from my skin sweating profusely or what. When I receded my hand from the doorknob, the peculiar dampness was beginning to glisten slightly as some sunlight decided to ricochet off of it.

There was no door eye installed so I had to force myself on my knees to make out was going on through the gaps of the door.

There was no one there.

There was also no doorbell as well. When my hand crumbled into a fist and was beginning to knock, it stiffened up like a rod suddenly as I found my body immovable. The throbbing of my chest accelerated frantically and beads of sweat cascaded down my face.

Why....am I.....so nervous?

I hesitated and turned around. I think I'll just come back some other time.

. . . . .

The next day, Vicky was walking with me while stares of hostility came from the other guys in the school. Like always, the chauffeur already parked his limousine at the neighboring intersection.

"Do you mind me kidnapping you for a day?" she said jokingly.

"Uhhh....."

A foot struck me from behind as I sprawled onto the leather car seat while she followed me in, closing the door from behind.

"I don't think I have pajamas or anything like that sort...."

"Oh hush! You literally slept at my house for the night with your school uniform."

"So, what are we doing over your house?"

"There's a party tonight. The senior class is going to come over and we're going to have a long night." She giggled.

Oh yeah...that's right. Graduation is just around the corner.

"So," She said leaning in. "What colleges have you gotten accepted to?"

"Virginia State University, New York University, Harvard..."

"Oh my gosh!" She let out a wispy squeal of excitement. "You too?"

"Yeah."

"Alright then. Let's lose ourselves tonight!"