Chapter 11: Theres This Thing Called "Partners"

"Prom?" I repeated quizzically.

"Yeah, prom," Stephen said. "Aren't you planning on going?"

The thought slowly carved a smirk across my face in dismay as the thought of going to prom was a joke. What am I going to do there? Just stand there all day while everyone is killing it on the dance floor?

"Oh, C'mon." Stephen continued as if he read my mind. "It's senior year. You have to go."

"I can't dance."

"Me neither, but it's the last school event before graduation."

All I responded was with a gentle shake of disapproval since my mind juggled with so many insecurities. I didn't want to go, but do I want to be those losers who voluntarily leaves themselves out of the fun like an idiot?

"What if Vicky goes?" Stephen then said and casted a suggestive look and shrugged his shoulders.

"She probably have somebody going with her already."

"Did you ask her?"

"Dude!" I cried, while a beaten color of red slithered up my face from nervousness. "No way! That'll just give it off as if I'm asking her to prom."

"Well....isn't that what you are trying to do?"

"I mean—"

"You're like the only guy clearly has a better shot with her then the rest of the class. Why out of all people did she pick you for the Talent Show as a volunteer?"

"Mere luck I guess."

"Mere luck my ass." He retorted mockingly as we arrived at the intersection on the block. Stephen's head swayed sideways to scan his surroundings and gestured farewell as he broke off from me since this is where we split paths on our way home. I followed my foot subconsciously and let my foot lead the way while I massaged the chemically distorted hand. The last time that I went to prom with wasn't Vicky.....

It was Kate.

August 30, 2010 (before)

I nudged Kate accidentally during history class as her head dropped downward and didn't bother to look up. From this view, Vicky's blonde hair spiraled sporadically downward like a endless slide as it alluded me in a odd way, compelling me to scoot my seat in her direction until a metal clank stopped from ever doing so, coming from the hind metal legs of the seat.

It made Vicky perk up and deviate her attention from the board and turned around to see where the sound came from. That was when she exposed her angelic features molded perfectly across the face that I couldn't help but sink in my seat. From my reaction, Vicky responded with alluring smile that butterflied my heart as I could feel it flap heavily.

Before I continued to be in a dreamy daze, Kate woke me up with a nudge to my arm. Without looking up, she rolled a crumbled slip of paper next to me. Out of curiosity, I unraveled it carefully to avoid echoing the crumbly rattle of the paper and read:

Do you want to work together for the history project?

History project?

"Alright!" Called Mr. Seth in the front. "Has everyone found their partners for their presentation yet?"

Everyone exchanged a wave of glances in class and everyone's gaze were scrutinized on Vicky when she extended her hand in the air.

"Yes Vicky?" Mr. Seth said.

"Sorry, Mr. Seth, but I am afraid that I don't have a partner."

"I see. Is there anyone willing to volunteer to be Vicky's partner?"

A moment of silence swept by. For some reason, I couldn't lift my arm to volunteer as my arm felt heavy. Why can't I lift my hand? My face began to swelter as I exerted all my strength to just throw my hand in the air to volunteer, but something was holding me back. The silenced ceased when Mr. Seth told her that she could with the kid in class who happened to be absent today. I grunted as regret began to savor for a long period in my mouth and I glared at Kate, who still refused to look me in the eye and her fingers fidgeted rapidly.

Why did I not raise my hand, I thought while I continued to stare at Kate with great bewilderment.

August 30, 2010 (now)

I slid next to Kate and was already quite aware how everything was going to go since I last remembered.  Like before, Kate refused to even exchange eye contact while I could see her squirm feverishly in her seat. That only stretched my grin a little bit wider.

During class, Kate rolled a crumbled note next to me and I wasn't too bothered by it. I'm not working with you, I chanted in my head. I'm not working with you. I'm not working with you. I'm not working with you.

"Alright!" Called Mr. Seth from the front. "Has everyone found their partners for their presentation yet?"

When Vicky shot up her hand, my arm rocketed into the air as I could feel a slight pull in my socket from the intense force.

"Oh." Seth said taken aback. "Mr. Lin?"

"I would like to volunteer to be Vicky's partner!"

A murmur broke out among the classmates: It's that guy from yesterday at the Talent Show. Just because Vicky picked him, doesn't mean he could just make moves on Vicky.

Vicky turned around and smiled joyously, penetrating rays of sunshine like a sun on a horizon through me. When the bell rang, I went up to Vicky and we happily exchanged contacts with me. A victorious sentiment throbbed within me as my stomach overturned with joy. She headed off and skidded down the corridor to her next period as my emotions couldn't be contained any longer as my hand punched the air.

The crumbled slip of paper was still rolled up on the desk as I approached it, still curious if it was still word for word what I remembered she wrote before. When I unraveled it, I read it. Then I reread it. Then I read it again and again:

Is your hand okay?