Chapter 5: Why everytime?

I missed the school's atmosphere, this learning environment.
I sound like a typical nerd for saying this, but I see school as my second home. School is the only way I meet friends and meet the love of my life(I'm talking about Vicky by the way, sorry Kate.). I dropped my head low and held tightly on my satchel bag and shuffled to the far end of the classroom. When I reached the seat next to Kate, I persist on looking down as I run my fingers on the chair of my assigned seat and sat down awkwardly. She probably thought I was a weirdo or something.

Mission success! Definitely gave a bad first impression! There is no way we could be as close as before!

During Mr. Seth's lecture on Egyptian civilization, I was listening to the lecture intently when I caught her staring at me in the corner of my eyes. I turned my head to her but she looked away immediately to avoid my eyes. I resumed on taking notes and then, a few minutes later, the same thing happened again. She kept looking at me.

Please, stop looking at me for god sake!

I looked at her again and she turned away immediately. I stared at her and waited for a few minutes. She turned around but, surprisingly, found her big caramel eyes meeting mines. Her whole body seemed paralyzed and shocked. I stared into her soul coldly through her oval pink glasses. Her black was pulled bag into a pony tail with a white ribbon. She had blue braces and a shiny white baby face. I could see her "barely-visible" adam's apple go up and down. She swallowed her saliva pretty hard when our eyes met. I leaned towards her slowly every 10 seconds, nearly touching her pinkish perfect lips before I was interrupted.

"Are you guys okay?"

I was stricken immediately and turned around to find Mr. Seth looking at us with suspicion while the whole class of eyes followed, making us look like a fool.

I raised my hand.

" Can I move up? I can't really see the board pretty well from this spot."

Mr. Seth nodded in agreement as I grasped my bag and my spiral copy book and walked to the front of the class. I looked to my right which made a smile on my face. It was Vicky. There was coincidentally a empty seat next to her as she responded to my smile with a bigger smile. Oh, that smile combined with her dark blue eyes and long eyelashes. I could hear the guys in the classroom grunting their teeth with jealousy since the princess of Riverland High-school is welcoming me to sit next to her. I sat down next to her as the class resumed on the notes on the board.

I gave a quick glance behind my shoulder. Kate's tiny head sank slowly into her notebook, her eyebrows pushed up and forming an upside down "v" shape. For some reason, I felt satisfied but, at the same time, felt pity for her. I could see our distance beginning to expand.

Mission success.

. . . .

When the bell rang, everyone raced out the door. Vicky was neatly putting all her books in her book bag. Just as I was about to leave, she looked up when she heard my footsteps.

"Hey, Lin. What's your next period."

"Lunch."

" Great! Me too!" She stood up and put her arms around my shoulder. I closed my eyes for a few seconds to enjoy her soft Snow White arms and I could pick up a faint scent of cherry lip gloss covering her lips. For some reason, we became really close. Last year, if I could recall, we only just greeted each other in the corridors when we were switching between classes. But now, she's being a little "physical".