Chapter 3

Tigerpaw had been training for four moons with Drizzlestar, working his hardest to impress her. His leader said that tonight was the gathering and that he would be old enough to play Pin Battle, a game Drizzlestar played when she was an apprentice. The apprentice's would usually play to prove which clan was the strongest.
Tigerpaw looked over to his mother, who was walking next to Drizzlestar. They seemed to be in deep conversation. Tigerpaw pricked his ears, straining to hear what Blackstorm and Drizzlestar were talking about.
"Don't you think you're being a little too hard on him?" His mother said with worry.
"The dream must come true. He's already looking exactly like he was in the dream." Drizzlestar pointed out.
Blackstorm sighed. "I just want him to have a normal life, one I didn't get to have when I was his age."
Tigerpaw didn't bother to listen anymore, instead he padded next to his sister, Shadowpaw.
"Are you excited for the Pin Battle?" Shadowpaw asked.
"Yes. I hope Flamepaw doesn't stay mad at me forever. It's not my fault I was chosen and he wasn't." Tigerpaw replied, looking over his shoulder to Flamepaw. His brother met his gaze then turned away.
"He'll get over it. He's just jealous that you are destined to become leader and he isn't." The medicine cat apprentice mewed casually. "Look, we're here."
Tigerpaw looked at the big island in front of him, his eyes widening with amazement. Shadowpaw walked away and Drizzlestar took her place.
"I want you to run to the island and jump on the High Rock. I want the clans to see what FireClan offspring looks like." She ordered, grinning.
Tigerpaw nodded, shifting his paws. He raced over the log that laid as a bridge to the island, balancing each step with ease. He heard the cats of the clans gasp as he jumped onto High Rock beside the other leaders.
The ShadowClan leader, Amberstar, glared at him. "What is this all about? Has FireClan got a new leader?"
"No Amberstar. He is my apprentice."
The clans turned their attention toward the island's entrance, Drizzlestar was looking at Amberstar, her eyes shining with triumph. "All of FireClan's apprentice's are as strong as Tigerpaw."
Amberstar curled her lips. "Just get this apprentice off the High Rock. Since FireClan seems so special, why don't you start us off?"
Drizzlestar dipped her head and jumped on the High Rock, pushing Tigerpaw off.
Tigerpaw landed on his paws and sat next to his mother, Blackstorm.
"Prey is running well in FireClan. Our apprentices are stronger than ever and so are our warriors. Any cat who dares to step foot in our territory will be punished accordingly." Drizzlestar finished, nodding to Squirrelstar, meaning she could go next.
Squirrelstar stepped forward and cleared her throat. Tigerpaw didn't bother to listen. He kept thinking about his destiny.
All these cats don't know that right in front of them is FireClan's future leader! I will win this Pin Battle and make my mentor and clan proud!
Deadstar was the last to share his news. Once he was finished, the clan cat's went off to talk. Tigerpaw turned to his sister, Shadowpaw, who was talking with one of the ShadowClan medicine cats. His fur slightly bristled. Shadowpaw was talking to their enemy, even if it was a medicine cat. Tigerpaw forced his claws to stay sheathed as he walked over to them.
Tigerpaw cleared his throat, glancing at the dark gray tabby ShadowClan she-cat. "Who's this? And why are you talking to her Shadowpaw?!"
Shadowpaw looked surprised by Tigerpaw's hostility. "What do you mean? Brokenheart's a medicine cat, I can talk to her."
Brokenheart smiled. "This must be your brother, Tigerpaw."
Tigerpaw growled and Shadowpaw shot him a warning glance.
"Yes." Shadowpaw answered.
Tigerpaw bared his teeth. "How do you know who I am?"
"That's because she's my sister."
Tigerpaw widened his eyes as he turned to his mother, who was standing behind him.
"Brokenheart stayed in ShadowClan while I went to FireClan." Blackstorm explained.
Tigerpaw looked at Brokenheart and shifted his paws. "I'm sorry about the way I acted..."
Brokenheart laughed a little. "No worries." She pricked her ears, looking at the leaders. "Shhh, the Pin Battle is about to begin."
Tigerpaw looked at the leaders, a burst of excitement going through him. Deadstar stepped forward, ready to announce which apprentice from his clan was going to play.
"Birchpaw, you are old enough to play. Please step forward."
The chestnut brown tom stepped forward, he was trembling and Tigerpaw could scent his fear. This is going to be easier than I thought!
Minnowpaw from RiverClan was chosen, Heavypaw from ShadowClan, and Hazelpaw from ThunderClan. Tigerpaw stepped forward, his head and tail held high.
"Birchpaw and Tigerpaw, you may start." Deadstar said.
Birchpaw stood still in shock. Tigerpaw jumped on the apprentice and pinned him, making sure his claws were sheathed.
"Tigerpaw! Tigerpaw!" FireClan cheered for him.
"Tigerpaw has won this round, Minnowpaw may play now." Blizzardstar yowled.
Minnowpaw curled her lips. "This is not fair!"
Tigerpaw rolled his eyes and swiped at her legs, making her fall. He then quickly put his paw on her.
He smiled. "I won."
FireClan cheered his name once more as the RiverClan apprentice growled with anger.
"Tigerpaw won once again. Heavypaw, you're turn." Amberstar said. Heavypaw stepped towards him and hissed.
Heavypaw jumped, trying to land on Tigerpaw. Tigerpaw was quick and swiped at him in the air, making the ShadowClan apprentice fall on his stomach. Tigerpaw put his paw on the apprentice's back and grinned in triumph.
"Tigerpaw has one more apprentice to pin. Hazelpaw, step forward." Squirrelstar mewed.
The hazel furred she-cat apprentice stepped toward Tigerpaw, her gaze full of determination. "You may have defeated all the others, but I will not let you beat me!"
Tigerpaw couldn't help but to admire the apprentice. He smiled, getting into a battle stance. "We'll see about that."
Tigerpaw raced toward her but Hazelpaw moved out of the way and pushed him to the ground, pinning him with ease.
"No!" Drizzlestar yowled with sudden rage.
Tigerpaw looked at Hazelpaw. "Good job."
"Thanks. You did well too." Hazelpaw replied, letting him back up.
Drizzlestar stormed over to Tigerpaw, clearly furious. "You let this ordinary cat win? How could you?! You are a StarClan cat, not to be showed by a ThunderClan fool!"
"I-" Tigerpaw was cut off as Drizzlestar raked her claws across his face.
Gasps came from all the clans.
"What just happened?"
"Has Drizzlestar gone mad?!"
Drizzlestar glared at Tigerpaw, ignoring the shocked murmured from the cats. "This is what happens when you fail. Do not ever fail me again!"
Hazelpaw looked at Drizzlestar in shock.
Drizzlestar turned toward her. "And you. Don't think you will win next time!"
"That's enough Drizzlestar!" Squirrelstar hissed from the High Rock. "Hazelpaw won fair and square, and you must accept it."
Shadowpaw raced to Tigerpaw. "We need to get you back to camp at once!"
Tigerpaw lowered his head, blood dripping from his wound.
"This time, Drizzlestar, you have gone too far." Blackstorm growled, a WindClan warrior behind her.
"Yes." The tom agreed.
Drizzlestar glanced at the cat. "You shouldn't be here, Redstrike."
"It doesn't matter Drizzlestar." Blackstorm said. "It's time we returned to camp, and maybe you should start thinking about treating Tigerpaw like an actual apprentice."