Chapter 14

Tigerstar couldn't help but think there was something off about today. For starters, there were a lot of cat's missing from camp. He hadn't even sorted the patrols yet, and he was sure no one else did either.
  Where is everyone? He thought.
  "What's wrong?"
  Tigerstar jumped and turned around, sighing with relief as he realized it was only Hazelstar.
  "Oh... nothing, I'm fine." Tigerstar replied, shifting his paws. He didn't want Hazelstar to worry too.
  But Hazelstar just let out a laugh. "You're such a terrible liar, Tigerstar. Come on, tell me. What's bothering you?"
  Tigerstar let out a short breath. "Something doesn't feel right. There are many warriors missing, and I know that they aren't just on a patrol."
  "That is odd." Hazelstar agreed, scanning the camp. "What should we do?"
  Tigerstar thought for a moment. "We should tell the other leaders, and prepare for the worst."

  Leapfrost stopped by the river, Wolfpaw, Rosefur, Pricklethorn, Timberfall, and Blackstar halting beside him.
  "We'll split up into groups of two, then go in different directions to hunt." Leapfrost meowed. "I'll go with Rosefur, Pricklethorn with Wolfpaw, and Timberfall with Blackstar."
  Everyone nodded and they went their separate ways.
  "I was thinking we could go near the Tall Oak?" Rosefur suggested as they walked.
  "Yeah, there will be tons of squirrels there." Leapfrost agreed, heading towards the ancient tree.
  The clouds became dark overhead, showing signs of rainfall. Leapfrost knew it would be challenging to hunt in the rain, but he refused to return to camp empty pawed.
  The storm started with a light drizzle, then turned to heavy rain poor. Leapfrost and Rosefur continued to walk, their pelts soaked.
  They finally made it to the Tall Oak, shivering. Leapfrost pricked his ears and sniffed the air. There was no sign of prey, but through the sound of thunder and rain, he could hear faint voices.
  "Do you hear that?" Rosefur said.
  "Yes, let's go check it out." Leapfrost led the way towards the sound, crouching behind a bush as a group of cats came into view.
  "Wolfbone told us to go to the ShadowClan camp, not to FireClan!" A dark gray tom hissed. "We can not disappoint him! There's already a patrol heading to FireClan's camp!"
  "If you're so smart, then why don't you lead this patrol?" A pale gray she-cat spat.
  "That's enough!" An amber colored she-cat walked out from the undergrowth, her eyes blazing with fury.
  Leapfrost's eyes widened as he realized Amberstar was the one who had spoken. What was she planning?
  "I will be leading this group from now on, it seems like you don't know what you are doing!" She hissed, flicking her tail. "Let's go, now!"
  The patrol raced away, leaving Leapfrost and Rosefur with their eyes wide.
  "We need to warn the clans." Leapfrost said.
  Rosefur nodded. "I'll go to ShadowClan, you go to FireClan."
  Leapfrost's eyes shone with worry. "Are you sure? It could be dangerous."
  Rosefur sighed. "Don't worry, I'll be fine. And besides, you're putting yourself in as much danger as I am."
  "Be safe." Leapfrost briefly touched noses with her, giving her ear a quick lick.
  Rosefur looked at him one more time before spinning around and racing away.
  Leapfrost turned back to FireClan's camp, and ran.

  Blackstar lowered her head and grunted, the rain soaking her black pelt. Timberfall walked beside her, not seeming to mind the rain too much.
  "Where will we hunt?" Timberfall asked, stumbling a little as he tripped on a root.
  "Here is good." Blackstar stopped, looking around. "But I doubt we will catch much."
  "We can try to catch as much as we can!" Timberfall said, his head high.
  Blackstar laughed a little, looking up at him. "Your spirit reminds me of Redstrike."
  Timberfall smiled. "I'll take that as a compliment."
  Suddenly, the bushes shook, and Blackstar immediately unsheathed her claws.
  She calmed down as she realized it was only Wolfbone. But something seemed odd about him.
  Her eyes widened as he quickly lunged at Timberfall, grabbing his scruff. He threw him into a rock before the Timberfall could react. Timberfall hit the ground, his head beginning to bleed.
  "Timberfall!" Blackstar shouted. Her eyes gleamed with anger as she turned to Wolfbone. "What is wrong with you?!"
  "I'm completing a job Bloodfire couldn't finish." As soon as Wolfbone finished his sentence, he jumped towards Blackstar, barreling into her. 
  Blackstar twisted around and swiped at his ears, and Wolfbone jumped back with a hiss. Blood was now dripping down his face, but he seemed to not notice. He attacked again, this time knocking Blackstar off her paws. He lunged for her neck, but she moved out of the way just in time, and it sent Wolfbone flying face first into the mud.
  Wolfbone quickly regained his balance, and fought with Blackstar again. They wrestled until Blackstar slipped, hitting the ground. Wolfbone quickly pinned her, her legs unable to move. She struggled beneath him, hissing.
  "You may be able to kill me, but I'll just come back to life!" Blackstar spat.
  "Then I'll just kill you over and over again, all until your very last breath." Wolfbone said, the biggest grin on his face.
  Before Wolfbone could sink his teeth into her neck, he was pulled off of her. She watched Timberfall, her eyes wide. He had grabbed Wolfbone by his neck then threw him into a tree with such force, it instantly killed him.
  "Are you okay?" Timberfall demanded, looking down at Blackstar. He seemed different somehow, not that shy, clumsy, cat from before.
  "Yeah, I'm fine." Blackstar murmured, rising to her paws, she winced as little. She must have twisted her paw when she slipped.
  "Let me carry you back to camp." Timberfall said. Without waiting for an answer, he picked her up and put her on his back, racing towards camp.
  Blackstar slowly closed her eyes, letting her head rest on Timberfall's side.

  Drizzlestar, Tigerclaw, and Leapfrost stood side by side, getting ready for battle. More warriors stood behind them. Tigerstar and Hazelstar had gone back to ShadowClan's camp to fight there.
  As expected, enemy warriors flooded into camp, lunging into battle.
  Tigerclaw had left Drizzlestar's side to fight other warriors, leaving her to battle with three other cats.
  Leapfrost fought off the cat he was wrestling before racing over to Drizzlestar's side. She glanced gratefully at him and they both drove the warriors back, their attacks in sink.
  Once they chased off their attackers, Leapfrost looked at Drizzlestar.
  "I think they are attacking because they don't want the clan as one anymore." Leapfrost prompted.
  Drizzlestar sighed. "Yes."
  "Maybe we should just give them what they want." Leapfrost said. "There will be less bloodshed."
  Drizzlestar closed her eyes, lowering her head.
  "Drizzlestar, you have to trust me." Leapfrost meowed. "You may hate me, but I'm still your deputy."
  Drizzlestar opened her eyes again. "Is that what you think? You think I hate you? Leapfrost, I don't hate you, I love you. What I did was wrong. I do not love Tigerclaw and I never will."
  Leapfrost felt his heart skip a beat, and his gaze softened. "As much as I want to hear more, this isn't the place or time to talk. We have to act, and quickly. Do you trust me or not?"
  "Always." Drizzlestar answered.
  Leapfrost gave a quick nod before racing towards the Hightree, Drizzlestar at his heels. He climbed up the tree with ease, standing tall.
  "Stop!" Leapfrost shouted, loud enough for everyone to hear.
  The battle stopped, and everyone looked up at him with confusion.
  "This isn't a battle worth fighting!" He began, his voice strong. "You want the clans to separate again, and so do I. Drizzlestar has agreed to this as well."
  Drizzlestar looked at the cats below. "I'm sorry for what I have done, and now I see it was wrong for me to do it. I thought that as one clan, we would be stronger. But instead, it has made us weaker. Return to your clans, let's put things back to the way they were!"
  For a moment there was silence, then the whole camp erupted with cheers.
  The warriors instantly left the camp, only the FireClan cat's stayed behind.
  Suddenly, Timberfall raced into camp, Blackstar on his back. Snowleaf immediately ran to his side.
  "Bring her to my den!" She ordered.
  Timberfall nodded and brought her there, Snowleaf, Drizzlestar, Leapfrost, and Tigerclaw following.
  "What happened?!" Tigerclaw demanded, glaring at Timberfall.
  "Wolfbone attacked us. She slipped and fell, twisting her paw in the process." Timberfall said, his expression solemn. "But don't worry, she's safe now and Wolfbone is dead. I killed him."
  Tigerclaw nodded. "Very well." He paused for a while before saying, "Maybe it's time I left. Blackstar has you to protect her now."
  Timberfall just gave a curt nod. "Thank you."
  Leapfrost watched as Tigerclaw slowly faded away, until he was gone.
  Snowleaf stepped away from Blackstar. "She should be fine. Her paw will heal in a few days. Until then, she needs to stay here."
  Blackstar shifted in her nest, slowly opening her eyes. She looked up at Timberfall and smiled. "Thanks for saving me."
  Timberfall nodded, grinning. "Of course."
  "Timberfall, I need you to bring WindClan home." Blackstar said. "I will meet you there once I'm healed."
  Timberfall briefly touched noses with Blackstar before turning around and racing out of the den.
  "You two, leave. Blackstar needs space and rest." Snowleaf ordered.
  Drizzlestar and Leapfrost looked at each other before leaving the den.
  In the clearing, a group of warriors were crowded around a body lying on the ground. The motionless cat's fur made Leapfrost shake with grief. A cream colored she-cat... it was Rosefur.
  Leapfrost sprinted to the dead body's side, lowering his head.
  "She died like a true warrior, saving the life of someone else." Featherheart whispered, his voice cracking with grief.
  Leapfrost couldn't say a word. Drizzlestar stood by his side, her tail rested on his shoulder.
  "How many more died?" Drizzlestar asked.
  "About three more. Spiderweb, Mothclaw, and Deadstar." The warrior, Jaywing, replied.
  Before anyone else could speak, Leapfrost growled. "Who killed her? Who killed Rosefur?"
  Flamepelt, her belly swollen with kits, was the one who answered, "Amberstar."
  "She will pay for what she has done!" Leapfrost shouted, his eyes blazing with pure hatred.
  "And she will." Drizzlestar promised. "By being chased out of clan territory."
  "Eaglefeather, Jaywing, Ambermoon, Petalfur, and Bearfur, find Amberstar and chase her out of clan territory." Leapfrost ordered.
  The warriors nodded and raced away.
  Leapfrost pressed his muzzle into Rosefur's pelt, closing his eyes. "Rosefur, I'm so sorry. I should have been there to protect you. You were there for me when no one else was, and I will never forget that."