Chapter 10

Penny

I have officially been engaged to Micah for a month. A year after I broke my leg. Funnily enough, he got to propose before I did. I guess I know what his answer would have been. Funnier still is on the night Micah proposed, Baz proposed to Simon. But the funniest part is that they both did it on FaceTime and it was all on the same video. Baz proposed to Simon from Uni and Micah proposed to me from a pie shop near his dorm. Simon and I sat next to each other on the couch, each holding our own phone. It was definitely planned out, but I think Simon was in on it too.

But the important thing about a month of being engaged is that I still haven't told Agatha or my parents. I'm not sure which to call first. Micah isn't either. All his buddies at the pie shop (It was national pie day, of course) knew. But he hasn't told his family either. I decide to tell the one person who I know will react well.

I open my contacts and scroll down to Gay Vampire Half-Roomate. I tap on his picture, one I took at the Leavers' Ball. He's glaring at me, and Simon's tail is wrapped around his waist, but Simon isn't in the frame.

He picks up after two rings.

"What's up, Bunce?"

"Baz, I'm engaged."

"Oh, Crowley, Pen. I'm so happy for you. Who's the lucky book?" I can practically hear him sneering. But I can't help but grin. Baz knows what to say, and he knows when to say it.

"I just needed to tell someone," I whisper into the phone.

"Why are we whispering?" Baz asks, his voice low

"Because I'm keeping it a secret. I haven't told anyone yet."

"So, I should get off the bell tower and turn off my megaphone? You mean you don't want me to tell the entire university?"

"Nobody wants to know anyway"

"I do," Says a new voice.

"Mordelia, no one cares about you what you want." Baz again.

"Hi, Mordelia!" I shout. I doubt she heard me, but I don't think it really matters.

"Well, Pen, this has been lovely, but I have to go drain Mordelia. I'm running low, ya know." Mordelia screams in the background and Baz chuckles. I hang up and stare at my phone for a moment longer.

Agatha

"Hey, it's Simon! I'm obviously not here, so I'm probably picking up a fresh batch of scones. Leave a message after the beep. Beeeeeep. Joking. Not that beep. The real one."

I breathe in. I breathe out. I do a little dance. It's how I get all my jitters out. It works. I feel calmer already. I take one more deep breath, then the tone plays. "Hey, Simon, it's Ags. I just thought I'd call, see how everything is going, talk to you about something. It's kind of important, so when you get a chance, call me back. Thanks, I think. Bye."

My phone rings less than a minute later.

"Hey, sorry Ags. How are you? I couldn't find my phone for a second there. I started to worry. It ended up being right in front of me, but of course, I ran all around the flat first. So anyway, how are you?"

"Geez, Simon. Give a girl a chance to respond." I laugh. "Um... I've been good. I started listening to that band you told me about. They're pretty good."

"Oh, the Lumineers? Yeah. Kind of Indie Rock. Mumford and Sons are another good one. They've got similar music. So anyway, you called about something important?"

This is it, I think. I breathe. I jump. I breathe. I say, "I'm ace" a thousand times in my head. But all I can manage out loud is "Yeah."

"Well? What's up?"