Chapter 12

Nick

I wipe away my tears. I can't believe I'm here. In Italy. At the wedding of I kid, I knew when I was 15. Who now has wings and a tail. And magic. And a husband. Actually, the whole husband thing's not a surprise, Simon was very clearly not interested in the girls in the home. I wonder if he had a crush on me. Or if he knew he did. I guess I'll just have to ask.

I walk out to my car and pull up the directions to the little vineyard where the reception is. It's only a few minutes away from the chapel, but it takes me forever to get out of the chapel's parking lot. That's one problem with a double service, is there are so many people in so many cars. I hope the vineyard has lots of parking.

My phone rings as I finally pull into the street. I check the caller ID then accept the call. "Hey, Lucy. What's up?"

"I'm trying to plan out meals for the week. When will you be home?" She asks.

"Um... Probably two days from now. I'd like to take in some of the sights and catch up with Simon."

"Oh, yeah, that's the kid who gave me the flower, right? You and him were close?"

"Yeah. I'm surprised you remember him. You only knew him for a few months, didn't you?"

"Yeah, but he was a good kid. Tell him I say hi. And bring me back a good bottle of wine."

"You know I will," I say, grinning. "I love you, I'll talk to you later tonight, or tomorrow morning."

It's so hard to believe that Lucy, Simon and I were all in the same home together. I mean, I didn't even realise she and I were in the same home until she started talking about one of the ladies who worked there. Birds of a feather, I guess. Simon probably doesn't remember her at all, but she remembers him. I guess he made quite an impact on her. She only remembers a few people from her homes.

I finally make it out of the parking lot and follow my GPS down the road to a large, open garden type area. Strange, I think, Simon said Baz hates the outdoors. He must be really in love with Simon.

There's a long tent set up, and I make my way over to the tables. I search for my name tag. I find it near the head table. I grin. I wonder how Baz managed to fit me in without Simon noticing. Maybe he said I was one of his cousins. Maybe he just did it after Simon left.

I put my jacket on my seat, and walk over towards the bar. I figure I'll be more sociable with a drink or two in me. I take a glass of red wine with me back to my seat and work on it as I watch the crowd file in. Lots of people with dark hair. Must be Baz's family. They're a very homogenous family. And dark, too. Baz must feel so out of place compared to them.

I shouldn't be here. I feel so out of place. Everyone here is posh and related. This is a family event. I'm just a random guy from Simon's past. I shouldn't have come. My thoughts start to spiral, but I'm startled out of it by a hand on my shoulder. It's the other groom, Micah.

He grins at me. "You must be Nick. Glad to finally meet you."

"Yeah, um, how do you know I'm me?"

"Well I know all of Pen's family and friends, she made me memorize all their names and faces. And Baz's family is clearly, well, they're all obviously related. And Simon only invited kids from school. And since I went there for a year and I don't recognize you, it leads me to believe that you are The Nick."

"Geez, does Snowman really talk about me that much?" I grin at the thought.

"No, actually he's only mentioned you once. But Penny talks about you sometimes. She really loves how much you impacted Simon. You were the first one to choose the Chosen One. She loves you for that."