VII. Blood Red

°°°

Jungkook's p.o.v.

As soon as the phone call had ended Taehyung began to panic. A string of low 'no's and 'this can't be happening' left his mouth as he buried his face into his palms.

"Taehyung?" I called out to him, trying to keep my tone calm.

He didn't look up, instead began muttering things to himself. From what I could catch, he was listing out the other possible explanations for Hoseok's disappearance, ones that didn't involve his friend in a dire situation.

"Taehyung?" I called out again, louder.

His worried eyes met mine. "Hoseok's missing." He said, voice cracking.

"I know. I heard. Just- Just calm down, okay?" I said, placing my hand on his shoulder, only to have him push it off hastily.

"Don't tell me to calm down." He snapped. "It was probably one of you." He sneered, his voice laced with venom.

I shifted away from him, taken aback by the sudden hostility. "Woah, okay. That was uncalled for."

"Uncalled for?" He retaliated. "I have no idea if he's alive! Not after finding out what demons are capable of doing to angels."

"Some demons. I literally just told you that I've never done anything of the sort." I reminded him, annoyed at having to defend myself.

He laughed sarcastically. "Like that's so much better. Like you haven't done worse things."

My eyes darkened. "That's not the issue here. You can't keep doing this. You can't fucking turn on me whenever you feel fit.

And you can't fucking accuse me of something I didn't do, goddamn it." I argued, my voice raising, unable to keep the rage building inside of me under control.

"I'm here because we agreed to work together. This was what you wanted." I reminded him.

"But honestly, from the way things are going, I think I'm the one with the short end of the stick." I muttered to myself, but it was loud enough for him to hear.

A whisper of guilt touched his features.
"I'm sorry- I- You're right." He said, closing his eyes in frustration.

He took in a deep breath before he opened them and looked at me.

"I'm sorry." He said again, but this time with sincerity.

I gave him a curt nod, accepting the apology.

"It's alright. Just..don't do it again. You have no idea how much it stings."

He nodded but it was obvious his thoughts were already somewhere else, and it didn't take a genius to figure out he was thinking about his friend.

"Jungkook," He gave me a smile that held no real worth.

"I'm sorry but I need you to leave. I'm sure you understand." He reached over me for my door and opened it for me.
"I'll get in touch later."

I knew he was going to go on a wild goose chase searching for that friend of his who was probably done for.

I shrugged, not giving a second thought to it and was about to leave.

But as I got out of the car I remembered the whole reason I was doing all of this was to gain his trust.

Hell, I needed him to fall for me.