nine

I love you but I'd love you more if you vote and comment

+

"Fine, fine, I guess my mom can deal without me." I shrug. It shouldn't be my priority to babysit my mom.

"Perfect. What should we do?" The color returned to normal on Calum's face and all that was left was a wide smile.

"I don't know, what do you want to do?" I ask. It was like nine o'clock in the morning and we're the only ones in sight on the beach, what was there to do?

"What do you want to do?" He presses back, a twinkle in his eye as he mimics me.

"I asked you first." I reply with a pointed look. We're both secretly five years old clearly.

"I asked you second." He sneers with a laugh. "But I don't know, we already robbed a music store, got ice cream and I got mauled by this lil fella," he ruffles Caden's fur. "What else is there to do?"

"True, I think that pretty much covers my goals for this summer." I joke. I just figured I'd spend the summer watching tv and reading, not hanging out with a cute boy. I prefer the latter obviously. "We could just walk?" I suggest. After all, it'd be nice to get to know Calum a little more.

I prefer to know who my partners in crime are.

"Yeah," Calum thinks about it for a second. "Let's walk."

And with that he starts off down the beach, leaving me and Caden to quickly catch up to him. I walk close to the shore, letting the occasional wave wash over my feet as we start a discussion.

"So Carter Stevenson, I know that your favorite color is purple, that Criminal Minds is your favorite show and you have really shitty taste in music. Care to fill in the blanks?" He looks at me from the side of his eye, his head turned down to watch his feet dig through the sand.

"Um," I try to think of things to tell him. "I've lived in way to many places to name, I'm allergic to peanuts, I'm an only child, my favorite movie is Back to The Future, and my middle name is Nicole." I list off the most random facts I can think of off the top of my head, Calum nodding as I go through the list. "Your turn."

"Alright, um... my favorite movie is The Lego Movie-"

"The Lego Movie?" I interrupt him with a scoff. "Isn't that for like five years olds?"

"Have you seen it?" Calum arches his eyebrows, earning a "no" from me. "Well then you can't judge, it's a masterpiece.We'll add it to the list of things to do this summer." He says it like I have absolutely no choice in the matter. "Now let me finish my list. My favorite season is summer, my middle name is Thomas-"

"Thomas?" I interrupt him again. "You don't look like a Thomas." I laugh to myself as he gives me an aggravated look for interrupting him again.

"That's because I'm not, dumbass. I'm a Calum." He says it like a proud little two year old and I roll my eyes with laughter. "Now hush, and let me finish for god's sake." He steers us back to the conversation. "Um, I like the color blue, and my all time celebrity crush is Katy Perry."

I don't care if he's finished or not because I can't help but interrupt again. "Katy Perry? Really?" He doesn't seem like the type to go for someone as flashy as Katy.

"Yeah, what's wrong with Katy Perry?" He asks defensively.

"Nothing, I just wouldn't have pegged you for a katycat." I stifle a laugh.