"No one wants to know where you've been," (10)

One thing was for sure; Micah was a great dancer. Once he put his pride aside for once—and his drink, he showed me just what he was capable of. He held me firmly but not too firm, he led the dance but he didn't control it and he swayed us to the rhythm without missing a beat.

Smooth Operator by Sade was being performed by the live band and Micah was in his element. It was surprising and exciting at the same time.

"I'm very impressed, Mr Daniels,"

"Then very little impresses you, Ms Maddison," he retorted.

God, he was a pain in my ass.

"Quite the opposite. My expectations of people are just low,"

He chuckled and I swear to you, the vibration from his chest ran through me. "Now it just sounds like you're judging,"

"Maybe so,"

He swayed us again as we swept the dance floor. "How is it going with Amira? She can be overwhelming sometimes,"

"She's great, actually. Really funny too. How do you guys know each other?" I asked him; just to see how he would respond.

"I knew her sister back in school," he gave me a tight lipped smile before looking away.

We were silent for a while, just dancing to the beat before he spoke again. "So tell me, what are you doing at my firm, when you could be at your fathers?"

"My father has high expectations of me. Some of which I can't fulfill."

"May I ask what kind of expectations?"

"The usual," I shrugged, "Marry a lawyer, take over the business. Be everything my mother wasn't."

"And you don't want that?"

"To marry Jack? Of course not." I scoffed.

"I meant being what your mother wasn't,"

I looked in his eyes, "I'm afraid I'm exactly like her,"

_____________________

It was time for the bidding section of the ball so we were then seated and served with more champagne and finger food. Thankfully, I ended up being seated with Amira—much to Jacks disappointment as he scowled at me from across the room.

She had thanked me for sweeping Micah away from Kathy and was disappointed that she wasn't here to see her face. Amira informed me that she had gone to the bathroom only to see Kathy storm in as she was leaving. The only way she knew about what I did was because Kathy told her 'you better watch your man, some bitch is out there dancing with him right now'.

I wasn't mad. I enjoyed dancing with Micah. I enjoyed our conversation... it wasn't boring office talk.

Micah sat across from Amira and we were joined by an elderly couple and Mrs Hammond. It was safe to say that Mrs Hammond wasn't the nicest of ladies...

"You're Harry's daughter, aren't you?" She directed her beady eyes at me. Mrs Hammond was a little on the stocky side; dressed in a blue wrap dress and wore a birds nest for a hat.

"Yes, ma'am," I politely answered her.

"What a shame about your mother... running off that like that!"

I could feel everyone's eyes at the table on me just then. Where did she get the nerve to bring up my mother?

My mother was an off-limits topic when it came to the public.