"You weren't ready for the truth," (24)

"But it hasn't even been that long," I tried to justify my lack of a response.

"A few weeks ago wasn't the first time I've seen you. I saw you a few years ago when you were just nineteen at your father's firm. The first thought that popped into my mind was how beautiful you were and how wrong it would be to pursue you. Then that day... the day I finally get to see you up close... you were with Paul," he sighed, "it drove me crazy but I knew I wouldn't be able to stay away from you. I'm sorry I didn't tell you before," he tried to come closer but I stepped back.

"You knew me?" My head was definitely spinning.

"Everyone knows you, Brynne. It's hard for them not to know you when you're Harry's daughter."

"I can't... I can't do this right now,"

"I'm sorry that I ambushed you with that but it doesn't change the fact that you went to Paul about my business,"

What the hell was he talking about? I couldn't even think straight!

"Are you serious right now? You can't drop a bomb like that and move on to the next topic!"

"It doesn't even matter because clearly, you don't reciprocate the same feelings," he was doing that thing... that thing he always did when he was feeling vulnerable. He was putting up a wall.

But right now I wasn't in any mood to reassure him because I didn't know if I loved him back! It hasn't even been that long!

I was confused.

"Listen, you are in no position to be mad at me when you're the one with the secrets!"

"What secrets?"

"About your wife! Your best friend, Tom! How did they really die, Micah?"

His eyes narrowed and I knew he took the question exactly how I had wanted him to. Instantly, I could see anger cloud over his features and his eyes blazed.

"What are you talking about?" He said through gritted teeth.

"I'm saying their stories don't add up. Nothing adds up where you're involved. You wanna know why I was in Paul's office last week? It was because he thinks you somehow have a hand in killing his brother all those years ago and that you're embezzling money out of the business." I sternly told him.

It looks could kill... I think I'd be dead right now. Maybe saying all of that wasn't the best idea.

"Do you believe him?" His voice was surprisingly calm... calculated.

"I don't know what to believe! The week before I left this place, I opened your office door and you practically scattered the papers on your desk before hiding them in your drawer! I don't know what to think!"

I saw him scowl and shake his head. "Then I guess we're done here." He dismissively said.

He flipped like a switch. How did he go from telling me he loved me to this?

Maybe it was for the best. This was getting way out of hand and I hated being in the middle of a conspiracy that involved murder. I cared for Micah, I really do but maybe our office fling had passed its expiry date. I had already crossed a line that couldn't be uncrossed.

So I left his office without looking back.

_________________________

Just when I thought I had left the drama back at Micah's office, I came home to my father waiting at the breakfast table with a glass of whiskey in his hand. It wasn't even that late in the evening and he was already drinking. Not being in the mood, I shuffled past him and pulled a can of soda from the refrigerator to take a sip.