"I care about you too," (19)

The anticipation was killing me. The demanding side of Micah was a huge turn on. It was like I'd do anything he said... anywhere... anytime. Oh God, what's wrong with me?

I busied myself with just about anything for the next few hours. Once I saw the clock ticking down to closing time, my palms began to sweat and my legs closed a little tighter; anticipating him between them. I nearly broke out into a sweat.

"Brynne, can I talk to you for a moment?"

"Paul... we agreed,"

"This is urgent, It's about Micah," Paul's voice sounded sincere.

"What about him?" I swiveled around in my chair to face him.

"In my office," he jerked his head to the side.

I didn't trust him. Not one bit. What could be so important about Micah that I had to see him in his office? Paul was known for tricking me.

"Fine," I agreed; my curiosity too much for me to handle.

Once in his office, I stood by the door as a safety precaution in case he got the wrong idea and decided to start ripping at my clothes. Paul paced around until he stood in front of his windows with his back turned to me.

"Something's been going on at this firm, Brynne."

"Like?" I prodded.

He clasped his hands behind him. "For a few months now, our papers haven't been adding up."

"But I've done a few reports and they seem fine,"

"Those documents have been doctored, Brynne. I didn't see until recently. Usually, the combined file with the receipts and transactions are prepared by someone else,"

Doctored? What was he saying?

"And you think Micah has anything to do with this?"

"Brynne, I may be in charge of this aspect of the firm but I don't make the transactions. I only make sure there is enough money for them. Micah makes the transactions, he makes the deals and he meets with the clients. The papers are prepared by him before they get to me," he turned around to me then; his eyes full of sorrow. "His last business trip was to meet with a client, right? Well I had him followed... he was meeting with other clients... ones where he could invest in their businesses... to stash the money he took,"

"No, I don't believe you," I strongly shook my head. He was implying that Micah was embezzling and laundering?

"He's been doing it for a while now. Believe it, Brynne. He isn't this great person you perceive him to be. My brother had been the victim of his wrath once already,"

"What the hell are you talking about?" I was starting to get angry. He was lying. He had to be.

"My brother also found out he was taking the money and Micah killed him off in that plane, Brynne. Micah was the one that was supposed to board that flight but he begged my brother to go instead at the last minute. He did something to the plane, Brynne. The engineer's report said there was foul play." Paul scowled at me.

"How do you know this?"

"I've had years to prove it and I will,"

"Paul... think about this. You don't know for sure..."

"Stop protecting him. He doesn't deserve it. Neither does Amira. Did you know she's been sleeping with him all these years? She's his accomplice in my brother's accident!"

"You're lying," I shook my head. "You're lying,"

There was no way Micah and Amira were capable of this. No, I refused to believe it. He would never do that.