The Myth of Happily Ever After

I'm always astounded by the fact that so many complain about "Where is my Happily Ever After?" Or that Happily Ever After does not exist. When the truth is they just want to skip ahead. None of them have done the research or work necessary to create Happily Ever After. Or they've given up too soon, not realizing Happily Ever After only happens after all the heartbreak and aggravation. It's easier to believe it's just a myth. 

Life is a story

Life is a story. Just like any you would write. You may realize you don't always have control of the story. Some characters that enter into it, seem to take it over, but it's important to remember this is your story. And like any story it wouldn't be much of a satisfying read if your characters met and immediately fell in love and everything worked out perfectly from the very beginning. Not only would it come off as completely unrealistic, it would also be, as a reader well... boring.

I torment my poor characters because I know the pay off is big. I draw you in. You become invested. You want to see them face the odds and obstacles and you want them desperately to succeed. At least that's how I hope you feel when you read my novels, as that's exactly how I want you to feel.

The reason for this is that's how I felt on my journey through life and love.

The first boy I admitted I had feeling for I was still in Middle school. He was a new neighbor and I admired him from afar. My friend mentioned to him that I had a crush on him and he ... and I quote... said, "But she's a dog. Why would I be interested in her?"

Yeah, I know. Ouch! Right?

The second boy I had a crush on for 3 years and for our eighth grade graduation dance I had gotten the nerve, after a pep talk from my parents, to call him and ask him to the dance. I was shocked when he said, yes.

I met him at the dance and my father wanted to take a picture of the two of us together and I hear his mom lean over to my mom and say, "Why is Frank taking their picture?" My mom smiled and said "Charity asked him to the dance?" His Mother looked surprised and said, "Really? He didn't say anything to me."

It was then I knew I was headed for disaster.

My friends hung together in a group and whenever my date did join me, which wasn't often, he followed my best friend around, talking with her and playing with the fringe on her jacket. He did slow dance with me... I think once or twice that evening... but my heart was pretty much broken at that point.

My high school dating career wasn't much better. One boy asked me out Freshman year but he turned out to be 18, though a Sophomore because of his need to learn English. He was from Vietnam. I had only recently turned 15 and didn't discover this until our 3rd or 4th date. A date where I also discovered he carried throwing stars in his pockets as he lost one in the theatre and then in my Dad's car. *but that's a story for another time and place* Needless to say we didn't continue dating.