Chapter 2

It was the end of the semester and there were only a couple of hours to go before Alexandra’s last exam. After that, she would head back to the apartment she shared with her sister, pack her suitcase, get the legalities (mainly her passport) in order and leave for Italy.

Alexandra was majoring in History and her minor was in Literature. She had realized that these vacations would be a brilliant time to broaden her horizons, club both her areas of study and perhaps come up with a good research project.

She had made her plans months in advance-at the beginning of the semester, to be precise-and could hardly wait for the evening, when she would have finally boarded her flight at Heathrow Airport! In less than three hours she would land in Roma!

(Four hours later)

The shrill bell rang, indicating the end of the exam writing time for the students. Alexandra could not help but smile as she put away her pen, and submitted her answer sheet to the teacher sitting up front. She was free for two months now! Two months of nothing but soaking in the beauty of Italy and her rich culture.

Norah was waiting for her outside the classroom.

“How was the exam?” Alexandra asked Norah.

“Good, good. I think I wrote a little too much though!” Norah replied with a smirk. “What about you? Went well?”

“I guess. Either way, I don’t care. Im off!” Alexandra said happily.

“I wish I could have joined you,” Norah said wistfully. “But I have my own internship to think of.”

They walked down to their apartment. It was a long walk, but neither minded. The weather was lovely and they had just finished with their exams. Neither could ask for more.

Once they reached, Alexandra began to get her things packed, while Norah went about making pasta for lunch.

They sat down to a peaceful delicious meal, interspersed with their moans of delight at the wonderful taste of the food.

“This is magical! When did you learn to make such amazing pasta?” Alexandra asked Norah, pushing a mouthful of the lovely stuff through her lips.

“I would spend my time watching Jamie Oliver when I was supposed to be studying! Would you believe that?” Norah giggled. Alexandra just shook her head fondly at her younger sister.

“When do you leave for mum and dad’s?” Alexandra enquired.

“Tomorrow morning. I will be back a few days before you are.”

A few more bites (and moans) later, Alexandra thoughtfully told Norah, “I’ll miss you there, you know that right?”

Norah smiled, “Of course I do. I will miss you too. But try not to miss home too much. Make the most of your trip, because it is a very special opportunity.”

“I will, Norah, I will.”