Chapter 3

3..2…1….Happy New Year ! The whole room shouts.
Already 2016?! I didn’t know if the year was running fast or was I growing old sooner than I thought.

“Hey! Happy New Year” someone tapped my shoulder.

“Happy….I trail off, umm…happy new year..”

“Don’t you remember me ? “

“Does this look like the face of a person who remembers someone?”

“I am Pratyush..Deepti’s friend..I came to your birthday last time…”

“Ohhh…yess! Sorry, I have memory of a goldfish. Happy New year. How are you ?”

“Good and you look beautiful !”

“Lying on first day of the year…you are going to do great..” I laugh
---------------------------------------------------------

3…2…1…Happy Birthday !!!!!

I am suddenly startled by the voice of a crowd. Wait, Where am I ? I think to myself. Damn, I have to stop moving back and forth through memories and die inbetween.

“Happy birthday weirdo”, Aadarsh, my brother hugs me “and the earrings look beautiful, just like you !”

“You don’t have to treat me this way just because its my birthday..” I smirk.

“Actually mom is on voice call, here.” He laughs

Let’s just skip on the part where I am showered with abuses from my mother on my birthday for not picking up the phone and not being able to come home.

“Where is he?” I ask Deepti.

“You know with who? Don’t you”

I stare into the blankness, partially doubting if I may have gone through some kind of concussion for this keeps happening.

“What will you have ma’am?” the waiter budges in.

“Anything except this life and chocolate cake…” I stare at him.

“She’ll have a fusilini with red sauce.” Aadarsh says and pats my back.
Only one day through without him and already feels like we have stayed apart ages.

I get back home and change into my pyjamas. It’s almost 12, hoping I would receive a wish from him at keep checking my phone. 1o clock, 2 o clock…maybe we were over. But when did you ever start ? my conscience questions.