learn the ropes

Vocab:
Belay:  To attach a rope to a rock or heavy object. In rock climbing, we use the word belay to describe the system that we use to keep people safe while they climb.

Belayer: The person who will be pulling the rope in as the climber goes up a climb so that the climber will be safe.

Climer: lol they climb idk what to tell you if you didn't know that

We're going to have a quiz on this so study it!!

I learned all about rock climbing to write this chapter, but if you have more knowledge and I got something wrong please tell me! There are also some parts where I doubt any rock climbing place would actually do but I had a vision for this chapter.

-----

"You got us the couples package?" Keith said into the phone. 

Allura chuckled, "Yes, but don't be mad-"

"Allura... did you even check what we were doing during this?"

"Yes of course Keith! You've gotta get romantic to really sell the scene..."

Lance nudged Keith, "What's she saying?" Keith pushed him away while Allura continued to talk.

"Trusting each other with your lives is gonna make you stronger-"

"What is in the package?"

Keith could feel Allura smirking through the phone.

"Oh you know, some fun stuff. Hanging romantically together, being each other's Belayer. Don't even worry. Maybe you'll even become friends like before! Or I don't know... more than fr-"

Keith couldn't bear to hear more. And promptly hung up. He wanted to break his phone. Allura couldn't possibly understand.

Lance looked expectantly at Keith. "Well?"

Keith snapped out of his anger and weakly looked at Lance, "I- um. I don't know. I..."

Lance raised an eyebrow.

Amanda waived them over. "Well, we to put the harnesses on and such first but then we can get started.

Lance and Keith slipped them on and once Amanda gave them the all good she brought them over to a small and relatively easy looking wall. A man with a name tag saying, Hernando, clipped Keith to the rope. Amanda did the same with Lance and she smiled reassuringly at them.

"We're just going to start off with something easy. There's a bell at the top if you wanna ring it but whenever you guys are ready you can start."

Keith stepped up on the first rock and before he could reach out to the next one, Lance tapped him on the back. Keith turned his neck, Lance had a little smirk.

This can't be good

"How about we can this interesting?" He said quietly

Keith narrowed his eyes, "I'm not here to play games with you, Lance."

"You just don't think you can win."

Keith rolled his eyes, "Fine." He pulled himself up a foot, "You're on." He started to scale the wall quickly. Lance's eyes widened, scrambling to get to his half of the wall.

"Cheater!" He called out.

Lance caught up at one point, Keith made a snarky remark about him having longer legs under his breath.

They both reached the top hitting their own red buzzer/bell.

"Ha! You lost," Lance taunted at him as he lowered himself down.