Chapter Six

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend

I'll train you.

"So, I got $18 in tips." Ruby said as she and Cassandra walked through Beth's back door. "I had to sell Stan's favorite set of cufflinks for $250." She added. "Sara is playing her first soccer game in a T-shirt instead of the team uniform. Which gives us a grand total of $343." She explained.
"Which means we now owe $59,657 to the violent street gang." Cassandra said with fake enthusiasm. "Please tell me you did better." She sighed.
Beth and Annie shared a look. "What's going on?" Ruby asked nervously.
"There's been a development." Beth said.
"What kind of development?"

Cassandra stood at the door of Beth's kids tree house; eyes wide and frozen in place. "What the fuck?" She whispered.
"What am I looking at right now?" Ruby yelled. "What am I even looking at right now?" The store manager form the store the girls robbed lay tired up and bleeding on the floor of the kids playhouse. He was screaming and grunting, wiggle around on the floor. "He knows about the store." Annie said. The man wailed through his gag as the girls climbed back down the ladder. "He was going to the cops." Beth said as they entered the kitchen.
"Does he know about the gang,?" Cassandra wondered out loud.
"Hell no." Annie said. "That's way above his pay grade. He's like the definition of middle management." She said. "Oh, and he also tried to rape me."
Cassandra and Ruby looked at her bug eyed. "What?"
"That is absolutely true." Beth said.
"He's a dick and a rapist." Annie yelled.
"It was self-defense." Beth said.
"Self-defense." Ruby repeated.
"Definitely."
"Yes."
"How is hogtying a man, climbing him 12 feet above the earth, and hiding him in a treehouse self-defense?" Ruby exclaimed. Beth shrugged her shoulders and there was a moment of silence before Annie spoke. "Okay, you know what? You weren't there." She said, clicking her tongue.
"You're damn right, I wasn't there." Ruby yelled.
"We are feeding him." Beth said.
"Oh, good." Cassandra said sarcastically. "Well, you know."
"What else were we supposed to do? If he goes to the cops, we're screwed." Annie said.
"No, we're screwed because of the gang that is going to kill us if we don't get them their money!" Ruby shouted.
"Okay, she's right." Beth said. "First things first."
"Okay, well, I make $9 an hour, so just give me a couple decades." Annie muttered and Cassandra nodded her head in agreement. "Okay, who do we know?" Beth asked.
"To rob?" Cassandra asked.
"To ask for money, Cass." Ruby hissed. Cassandra held up her hands in defeat.
"Somebody rich who would care if I was dead?" Annie said. "I mean, I wish." Ruby, Cassandra and Beth shared a look. "What? Who?" Annie asked. Suddenly the thought dawned on her. "No."
"What do you mean, No?" Ruby said.
"I mean, No." Annie said. "No, no, no."
"Annie, this is life or death." Beth said.
"I choose death." Annie yelled. "Give me death!"